Thread: Ianthe build

Default Ianthe build

Is it frowned upon to build a shop's creation? I'd really like to create the Ianthe, since I haven't really seen others like it and now I'm wondering if there aren't similar styles for a reason.

Right out of the gate, I'm also getting stuck with the pommel. It's obviously the same circumference as the shroud, but I don't see a pommel I could add anything to, which would work.

Any thoughts?

74726fbcb2376050dd2acf2e89ff0cd7.jpg

Yes, it is usually highly frowned upon to recreate something a sabersmith does (Especially a one off like what you have listed) without 1. Asking if they’ll actually let you do it, and 2. If they let you do it, giving them credit for the initial design idea.

With the above said, you can build something like it, or “inspired” by it. It can look a lot like it, but not exactly like it. In your case, if you come up with a different pommel type or something else to alter the design a bit.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 07-06-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

How would it be frowned upon if it’s for personal use?

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    How would it be frowned upon if it’s for personal use?
    Some simply may not want their work copied, period. Also, he didn’t specifically say it was for his personal use (though he sounds like that’s what he’s aiming for) AND I’ve seen many instances where Smiths have said ok in the past and then sometime after completion, the piece goes up for sale because (fill in excuse here).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I completely agree with FJK here. Asking first is just simply the right thing to do, and in my experience, most sabersmiths do not mind you using their work if it is for personal use only.

you can think of it kind of like ripping a DVD and posting it to YouTube.

So I'm not trying to steal anyone's work and I never considered the finished project going to someone else. I guess I could contact Vader's Vault asking how the pommel was done, but I'm guessing that won't go over well, if it even stands a chance of any response.

No ideas on how a shroud could be lined up flush with a pommel?

Yeah, I know Alan and Deanna well, so I highly doubt they’re going to spill any of their methods.

While I won’t give anything away, I think that if you consider it from a certain point of view, you might be able to solve your issue rather easily. I’ll even spot you a hint - Don’t think of the pommel as just a pommel.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Hey FJK,

I think I follow you. It looks like MHS Extension Blank Style 3 at the bottom would start to build the diameter.

Putting a segment of shroud at the top and then a pommel below would give the rough shape. Am I on the right track?

It sounds like it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines