Thread: Removing chrome from the TCSS Chrome Crossguard 2.0 kit.

Default Removing chrome from the TCSS Chrome Crossguard 2.0 kit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on removing the chrome from the TCSS Chrome Crossguard 2.0 kit? Looking for a chemical (solvent) way to do it if possible. Sanding is an option, but would take a lot of time. I want to remove the chrome finish and powder coat it black.

Theta, there are ways to remove the chrome. From what i know, bothmy brothers worked in metal plating a while back, the chemicals are very hazardous. Meaning not a very diy friendly start-up. Are you diy powder coating or using a service. If using a service check with them first. The safest home way to do it is sanding. It is time consuming but much safer for at home. If anyone else has any thing easier id like to know also.
    Dave

Take it to a powder coat shop and have them sand blast it. I think that should remove it pretty well?

I plan to powder coat it myself and I do have access to a blasting cabinet. I’m just concerned that blasting will soften the sharper edges of the hilt too much.

I wasn’t sure if the chrome is actually electrically plated, or if it was just some type of chrome powder coating that could be dissolved safely. I was hoping it was the latter, but nothing in the way of common paint solvents seems to touch it.

As has already been mentioned, there are chemical methods to remove actual chrome plating, but they are dangerous and release carcinogenic compounds like hexavalent chromium. I think I will avoid that.

You can get media blast that is safer to use on softer metals. You would need to do some research as I cant remember them right now. That may help.
    Dave

I used 80 grit glass mesh blasting media. It took the chrome right off, but not the copper plating underneath. I didn’t see that as an issue.image0.jpg
    Last edited by thetasigma; 07-06-2020 at 02:42 PM.

I used KG GunKote instead of a powder coat for the finish. It's still a durable bake-on finish, but sprayed as a liquid instead of a powder.

image1.jpg

No need to strip it. Just roughen the surface and use an etching primer before painting.

That looks good. Congrats.
    Dave