Hey peeps

As promised, here is a tutorial for easy DiY bone

Before we get going, a couple disclaimers

This method is not mean to complete with other products found in the community, and you wont get the same results as top-of-the-line faux bone
Results will vary, if you don't like what you made, simply sand it off and try again. It's an easy method when you get the hang of it but it does take some practice.
This is not the only way to make faux bone, obviously

Automotive sandable primer
Citadel high contrast Wraithbone primer
Citadel high contrast paint- skeleton horde mostly
Black acrylic paint (any will do)
220 grit sand paper
A dry paper towel
A damp paper towel
A few cheap paintbrushes

Hokay, with that out of the way let's get started
For this method i use
Citadel high contrast Wraithbone primer
Automotive sandable primer
Citadel high contrast paint- skeleton horde mostly
Black acrylic paint (any will do)
220 grit sandpaper
A dry paper towel
A damp paper towel
A few cheap paint brushes

Give your 3d print a rough sanding. This doesnt need to be completely smooth, just get most of the artifacts down

Give your print a couple coats of primer

Sand and repeat as many times as needed until your happy with the prints texture

Wraithbone Primer, you should need only 1 or 2 even thin coats

Now for the tricky part- weathering.
I've found its bets to weather before tinting, this way it looks more ingrained
To do this I take a small brush and splotch some black acrylic paint, then give it a dab with the damp paper towel. Damp is the key word, a wet paper towel will just take the pain off.
Finally I smear the damp paint with the dry towel. I'll make anywhere from 2-5 passes with the dry towel depending on how dark I want an area to be. The more passes equals the less paint left behind.
LEt dry and repeat.

Finally move onto the high contrast paint.
This stuff can be tricky, the more paint in an area the darker it will be. Here I did a medium-large brush in the paint and dab most of it off on the rim, less is more. THen I streak the paint across the entire surface using long/quick brush strokes. The key is not covering the entire print with the same level of paint, the contrast is what gives the part life.

Poof, you're done with a max of 20 minutes or painting. Give your part a matte layer of clear coat and enjoy.

If YOu have questions just ask, if you like my work i have a facebook, shapeways, and etsy
https://www.facebook.com/Larzs-Bone-...5904314420016/