Thread: 3d Printed chassis for 26650 batteries

Default 3d Printed chassis for 26650 batteries

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried printing a chassis for use with a 26650 battery at all? I know most people favor the 18650 but I like the extra run time you get with the 26650... It does however make things more difficult to do stuff with.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Jedi Atu'karek
    Remember: Han shot first.

Not that I’ve heard of.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Not that I’ve heard of.
    This is why I need my own 3D printer
    Jedi Atu'karek

Quote Originally Posted by poconosjon@aol.com View Post
    This is why I need my own 3D printer
    A pair of good calipers may also be in your best interestS.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Designing/printing chassis is easy enough with some patience. The first thing I ever designed was a chassis. As FJK says, calipers are your friend. I'm certain someone has made such a thing, but I don't know if anyone has shared it.

FJK is right...calipers as well as some basic drafting will help you conceptualize. Keep in mind...the first 2 digits of an li-ion battery is the diameter and the 3rd and 4th digits equal it's length in mm the fifth digit I believe means it's shape 0 being round. (Ex. 18650 = approx 18mm diameter 65mm long) 26650 is approximate 1.024".

While I have not seen a 26650 set up, there are a few "open source" printables out there which could possibly be modified...so long as you have the programs and knowledge of how to work them. I suggest looking for a battery holder for the 26650. Keystone provides schematics and .stl files for their products which could help you with th design, if you are looking for removable batteries. Wired in battery at the size of 26650 would save you some space. That being said...I have tried drafting setups with 26650 and the problem is there really is not a lot of room for the board next to the battery (looking down the center of the hilt). I am not saying it is impossible...BUT.

I have spoken to a few members about batteries and researched various forums (not just lightsabers) and builds and li-ion batteries in general, with the hopes of increasing run time.

The issues with li-ion batteries is the lack of industry standardization...meaning their are A TON of false claims out their regarding mAh (capacity) and output amps(min/max). The batteries TCSS has for sale are good quality, legitimate li-ion batteries.

You would have more potential finding viable concepts in the 21700 size category (from a quality brand) to increase run time while not sacrificing as much space as a 26650.

Another factor to consider for battery is setup. If it's a tri-Cree you don't need a high amp output (4A assuming true 1A to led's and 1A for aux lights) neopixel needs way more amp's and is beyond my current experience and knowledge.

Off topic side note:
    I own a 3d printer but I have yet to print any lightsaber parts/components...because I purchased a budget 3d printer and have been tinkering with it's optimization. Which in turn has definitely improved my understanding of electronic's and 3d models/modeling. If you are interested and willing to tinker (I know you are because you are building lightsabers) research the Ender 3. Very large Web community via reddit and Facebook as well as a veritable cornucopia of YouTube tutorials, to guide you.

(Moderators, if this is against the forum policy please let me know and I will modify or delete the post as needed )

Quote Originally Posted by WaywardViking View Post
    FJK is right...calipers as well as some basic drafting will help you conceptualize. Keep in mind...the first 2 digits of an li-ion battery is the diameter and the 3rd and 4th digits equal it's length in mm the fifth digit I believe means it's shape 0 being round. (Ex. 18650 = approx 18mm diameter 65mm long) 26650 is approximate 1.024".

While I have not seen a 26650 set up, there are a few "open source" printables out there which could possibly be modified...so long as you have the programs and knowledge of how to work them. I suggest looking for a battery holder for the 26650. Keystone provides schematics and .stl files for their products which could help you with th design, if you are looking for removable batteries. Wired in battery at the size of 26650 would save you some space. That being said...I have tried drafting setups with 26650 and the problem is there really is not a lot of room for the board next to the battery (looking down the center of the hilt). I am not saying it is impossible...BUT.

I have spoken to a few members about batteries and researched various forums (not just lightsabers) and builds and li-ion batteries in general, with the hopes of increasing run time.

The issues with li-ion batteries is the lack of industry standardization...meaning their are A TON of false claims out their regarding mAh (capacity) and output amps(min/max). The batteries TCSS has for sale are good quality, legitimate li-ion batteries.

You would have more potential finding viable concepts in the 21700 size category (from a quality brand) to increase run time while not sacrificing as much space as a 26650.

Another factor to consider for battery is setup. If it's a tri-Cree you don't need a high amp output (4A assuming true 1A to led's and 1A for aux lights) neopixel needs way more amp's and is beyond my current experience and knowledge.

Off topic side note:
    I own a 3d printer but I have yet to print any lightsaber parts/components...because I purchased a budget 3d printer and have been tinkering with it's optimization. Which in turn has definitely improved my understanding of electronic's and 3d models/modeling. If you are interested and willing to tinker (I know you are because you are building lightsabers) research the Ender 3. Very large Web community via reddit and Facebook as well as a veritable cornucopia of YouTube tutorials, to guide you.

(Moderators, if this is against the forum policy please let me know and I will modify or delete the post as needed )
    I appreciate as always the response and thank you for your time

I know all about the size requirements of the 26650 as I am on my 2nd build with this battery. I was able to fashion something out of PVC with A LOT of sanding to make it thin enough to fit in the hilt... That being said I use NeoPixel strips and need the output and like the runtime you get out of the 26650. Perhaps for the next build I will try a 21700...

I am looking at the Ender 5 Plus as an option, because I like the larger build area and other features(self leveling) that it has. I will definitely be playing a lot with this to get a reasonable amount of experience and try my hand at printing saber parts... But that is a ways off... I did however find a couple of people that did it on a FB group and one of them is going to design and print me one for a reasonable fee so for now that may also work... If it comes out nicely I may switch from my homemade PVC to that...

Thanks again,
    Jon
    Jedi Atu'karek

Well, there are 3D printed chassis to accept 26650s. One in particular was made by Goth3D for the Phoenix Props Ben Solo hilt. YOu have to have a hilt with a big enough diameter to fit a 26650. I have converted 2 BS Crossguards with 26650s, with an aluminum chassis that I made myself, and fitted with 26650 sleds. You have to be creative sometimes. Here is the 26650 Kylos I built, chassis is shown in the videos, these sabers are some of my older builds:

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

As a note, the issue isn't a lack of standardization, the issue is unscrupulous sellers and manufacturers. It doesn't take much to recognize obvious false claims, and the false claims are almost always obvious. Anything your can buy for half the price on eBay is almost never worth three money, and there is no such thing as a5400mah 18650. Recently the have been hundreds of listings for "uv" "germicidal" lamps that are nothing but visible spectrum LEDs. That's doesn't even begin to touch on the mega industry of bogus medical items that... well I'll stop there.

Anyway, buy from reputable battery brands and sellers, they will be what they say they are. TCSS would obviously be on top of your list.