Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lens Holder Help Thread

Here's what the optics look like in the holder:

That is a 5 deg optic in the TCSS holder.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 10-03-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

The star led on the MHS heastink:

The lens and heat sink assembled:

That is a 5 deg. lens in there. It just doesn't quite fit, because it's slightly different than the 10 deg. optic.

Hope those help!
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 10-03-2008 at 02:02 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

To get the 5 deg optics to fit, you'll need to either modify the holder, or the lens. I did the lens, because for me it was easier. There are two tabs on the lens. One is a square shape that will fit into the notch in the holder just fine. The tab oposite that is what needs to be removed. A simple file will work for that. Whatever you decide to modify is up to you. They're your parts, do what you will! Either way, it still isn't quite going to fit:

This lens was intended for that holder. I got one from Luxeon for a 5 deg. and this was what it looked like (it's the white one on the right):

Unfortunately, the white one won't fit in the MHS set-up, but the 5 deg. lens snaps right in it.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 02-25-2011 at 04:47 PM.

The 5 deg. lens doesn't fit the holder Tim sells because it doesn't have the "step" on the edge that the 10 deg. does:

The 5 deg. has a totally flat edge:

There's nothing there for the tabs on the holder to grab onto. The 5 deg. lens will just sit in the holder instead of snapping in like the 10 deg.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 02-25-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom465
    Also, those are nylon screws in my pic. They just look gray, almost like metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryma Mara
    Another thing I would suggest, that if your gonna keep this setup to get some nylon screws to hold the led to your heatsink
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Hallelujah! I see the light! Or, I should once I get this put together the right way. Thank you everyone for your help.

So the question is, how to get that 5 degree to stay in that holder without gluing it. After removing the extra tab, it just sits on top of the holder, any kind of motion would tip it out. The holder I got has the hole just big enough for the lens to slip through, falling out if I tip it.

Default great

you know the great thing about you Jay-gon Jinn, is that you give detailed pictures and explanations of things. I followed your guide when I built my sink tube saber and this lens holder really cleared things up. Thank you so much for your helpful guides!!