Thread: Questions about machining materials

Default Questions about machining materials

Due to covid 19 I've seen a lot of custom saber companies be out of stock in parts due to a lack of materials from China. I'm assuming they are referring to round stock of aluminum.

My question is, why wouldn't you put out an ad locally to have people drop off aluminum cans and pay them a cent or two above standard recycling? Build a small forge and make your own round stock of aluminum for machining.

Most Chinese aluminum is recycled from American trash anyways so wouldn't this be more economically and environmentally efficient?

Welcome to the forums.

These forums are connected to a Shop that produces hilt parts here in the states, that IS NOT MADE from “Chinese metals”. 6061 Aluminum isn’t something that’s made from a small home forge and some recycled pop cans.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Board Lurker

idk much about the processes and materials used to make the parts, but reusing materials isnt as efficient as most people expect, especially at a basic forge

I am doing some simulations of drilling carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) with Abaqus/Explicit. 3D Hashin's damage model with damage evolution has been defined for the CFRP composite. The drill bit was defined as a discrete rigid body. Cohesive contact has been deployed to model the interlaminar properties and simulate the delamination damage.