Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about the LED blade diffuser for 1" thick walled blades

Default Question about the LED blade diffuser for 1" thick walled blades

Hello,

Is this to be used instead of the Foam tube for 7/8" thin and 1" thick tubes V2 or can this be used in conjunction with for better diffusing?

Thanks as always,
    Jon

Hey

It’s my understanding that the foam is for led string & NeoPixel blades while the diffuser film is for in-hilt LED. What kind of blade are you building?

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    Hey

It’s my understanding that the foam is for led string & NeoPixel blades while the diffuser film is for in-hilt LED. What kind of blade are you building?

- Steve
    2nd Led string blade. 1st one has the foam and I sanded the blade with 400 grit. Still can see the seam line where the strips are joined. Will be wrapping with Cellophane to see if it corrects it. Was looking into alternatives and saw this in the store and was curious. It is not the film... https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4...ades-P156.aspx

Thanks,
    Jon

Hey Jon

2nd Led string blade. 1st one has the foam and I sanded the blade with 400 grit. Still can see the seam line where the strips are joined
    You mean neopixel not Led string right? Led string generally refers to individual 5mm LEDs that have been chained together to make the blade - you shouldn't get "seams" with that type of blade construction...

As far a seeing the seam int the blade; what strips did you use? Were they 144 diodes per meter with white PCB material? I've heard sometimes you can get visible seams if you use strips with black PCB material.

Was looking into alternatives and saw this in the store and was curious. It is not the film... https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/4...ades-P156.aspx
    You Sir are correct - I assumed you were talking about the cellophane wrap when you said diffuser. I stand corrected. By the reviews it does seem like it is made for in-hilt LED though. The reviews seem to support the fact that it works. Hey, it may be worth a shot for 4 bucks!

- Steve
    Last edited by null; 04-25-2020 at 03:58 AM.

Steve,

You are correct they are neopixel. I have the 144/m white. And for 4 bucks it is exactly what I was thinking... Once I get the new blade built ill let everyone know how it works... Thanks.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    Wrap it with cellophane, it will help a lot.
    I have cellophane on the way, I also sanded the blade again. Was at a 500 grit, went to 400 and this also helped a little. Once I wrap it in Cellophane, I think this will fix this blade. But the question still remains and with the order in process, I am hoping that I can answer it for everyone else...

I'm not really sure what mystery you are trying to solve, I made a video about this almost 4 years ago and others have chimed in since then.

400 grit seems really rough for sanding your blade. A "scotch bright" type pad will give it an even finish that can help, although I don't generally find it necessary. I imagine steel wool would give good results as well. I prefer a clear blade with the silvery look the cellophane gives, but when I have made sanded blades I simply spun it on my drill while running a pad up and down the tube.

Be sure to wear breathing protection, the polycarbonate dust isn't very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    I made a video about this almost 4 years ago and others have chimed in since then.
    Thank you for the reply, would you perhaps have a link to the video? I have watched so many but it is possible I missed yours.

Thanks
    Jon

Hello all,

To answer my question and fill everyone in, I received my order and the foam fits i side the blade diffuser so in theory it would be an additional layer of diffusion.

Jon