Thread: Neopixel hilt: How do you get the pcb to stay in place?

Default Neopixel hilt: How do you get the pcb to stay in place?

I've been watching a ton of videos and compiling a lot of great information but there's one particular thing that came to mind and I'm not sure how best to do it:

So when you're assembling a neo pixel blade (or any blade I guess), the hilt-side PCB can go into the little plastic holder but how do you get that holder to stay put in the hilt when the blade isn't there? Or, in fact, when the blade IS in place...How do you keep it from floating around in there? I got an ultrasaber stunt saber just to kind of play around with and take apart for research and the little LED cup is just...dangling in there. Held in place by the switch wires. I'd like it not to slide around PLUS it needs to be solid so the neopixel blade can make contact with the PCB, right?

Do you pop in a set screw or is there something obvious i'm not seeing?

Te holder is designed to stay in place with MHS parts. Ultrasabers has a different setup, and isn’t compatible from what I’ve seen so far. I haven’t worked on many US’s lately to see what potential options are.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Te holder is designed to stay in place with MHS parts. Ultrasabers has a different setup, and isn’t compatible from what I’ve seen so far. I haven’t worked on many US’s lately to see what potential options are.
    Huh. I must be looking at it the wrong way because the little black plastic holder I ordered has the same OD as the bladeholder ID so it just slips on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderscorn View Post
    Huh. I must be looking at it the wrong way because the little black plastic holder I ordered has the same OD as the bladeholder ID so it just slips on out.
    When you screw it into the next MHS piece, it stays in place.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    When you screw it into the next MHS piece, it stays in place.
    Not on mine, it doesn't. But I think I see the problem. TCSS sells one (that's out of stock currently) that has a lip on it that prevents it from sliding out of the emitter. Mine is just a cylinder that slides freely out of the blade holder. I have no idea what mine is for then, heheh. Seems like it would be easy enough to modify mine to add a lip or something though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alderscorn View Post
    Not on mine, it doesn't. But I think I see the problem. TCSS sells one (that's out of stock currently) that has a lip on it that prevents it from sliding out of the emitter. Mine is just a cylinder that slides freely out of the blade holder. I have no idea what mine is for then, heheh. Seems like it would be easy enough to modify mine to add a lip or something though.
    Ultrasabers does not install LED retention. If you drill and tap a set screw, most use 8-32 in the USA, you can retain your neopixel hilt adapter so that it won't slide around. This is pretty common in most saber installs, except for MHS emitters. MHS emitters are designed so that a capture module works in them. I do not think ultrasabers have such a capture system, so you will need to add a LED Module Retention Screw. Drill and tap.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Ultrasabers does not install LED retention. If you drill and tap a set screw, most use 8-32 in the USA, you can retain your neopixel hilt adapter so that it won't slide around. This is pretty common in most saber installs, except for MHS emitters. MHS emitters are designed so that a capture module works in them. I do not think ultrasabers have such a capture system, so you will need to add a LED Module Retention Screw. Drill and tap.

Tom
    Roger that, thanks!!

Hot off the press, timely topic.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."