Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quick question/verification of my understanding of Saberstaffs and sound boards

Default Quick question/verification of my understanding of Saberstaffs and sound boards

Hello,

Am I correct in my understanding that if I wanted to build a saberstaff(dual blade) I would need a CFX board for each side?

Thanks
    Jon

If you want both blades to have independent sound and light controls, then you will need two sound boards.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Hey Jon

It really depends what your looking to do with your saber staff. Is it going to be coupled & detachable in the centre allowing you to disconnect it and “dual-wield” or is it going to be a dedicated one-piece saberstaff?

Obviously if you want to be able to disconnect the two halves (and want both to function individually) you would need two CFX’s. If you don’t want to be able to de-couple it then there is no reason you couldn’t use a single CFX. You could use the TridentRGB board to drive the second blade... Come to think of it CFX might be able to do this without the TridentRGB board - I will look through the manual later today.

Are you planning for Pixelblade? Battery life would be an issue I think unless you chained a few 18650’s together, but you would have plenty of space for it in a saberstaff.

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    Hey Jon

It really depends what your looking to do with your saber staff. Is it going to be coupled & detachable in the centre allowing you to disconnect it and “dual-wield” or is it going to be a dedicated one-piece saberstaff?

Obviously if you want to be able to disconnect the two halves (and want both to function individually) you would need two CFX’s. If you don’t want to be able to de-couple it then there is no reason you couldn’t use a single CFX. You could use the TridentRGB board to drive the second blade... Come to think of it CFX might be able to do this without the TridentRGB board - I will look through the manual later today.

Are you planning for Pixelblade? Battery life would be an issue I think unless you chained a few 18650’s together, but you would have plenty of space for it in a saberstaff.

- Steve
    I will definitely use Pixel Blades, love the look! I guess I will have to also decide if I want it to be detachable, but I think I am leaning toward not as I like the idea of having the crystal chamber in the middle as I have seen in the gallery... Unless I go with a chamber on each end... Decisions Decisions But also as Silver Serpent said above, it will also depend on if I want individual control of each side as well...

Thank you both for the insight!
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by poconosjon@aol.com View Post
    I will definitely use Pixel Blades, love the look! I guess I will have to also decide if I want it to be detachable, but I think I am leaning toward not as I like the idea of having the crystal chamber in the middle as I have seen in the gallery... Unless I go with a chamber on each end... Decisions Decisions But also as Silver Serpent said above, it will also depend on if I want individual control of each side as well...

Thank you both for the insight!
    Jon
    If you’re using pixel blades, then two boards will be required.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    If you’re using pixel blades, then two boards will be required.
    FJK,

Thank you as usual for the wisdom. It is what I was thinking would be needed.

Jon

I you’re using pixel blades, then two boards will be required.
    FJK, what is the reason for needing two boards? (Aside from independent sound and light control)

There is a ledstrip parameter line for auxstrip (CFX manual pg 39); it allows for selection up to 180 pixels. Would this not be for a secondary blade a-la saberstaff? Barring that, the Tridentstrip parameter also allows for up to 180 pixels / -180 pixels ... so technically I think you could make a “quad-bladed-spinning-death-machine-of-battery-drainage”....

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    FJK, what is the reason for needing two boards? (Aside from independent sound and light control)

There is a ledstrip parameter line for auxstrip (CFX manual pg 39); it allows for selection up to 180 pixels. Would this not be for a secondary blade a-la saberstaff? Barring that, the Tridentstrip parameter also allows for up to 180 pixels / -180 pixels ... so technically I think you could make a “quad-bladed-spinning-death-machine-of-battery-drainage”....

- Steve
    144 + 144 = ??? OK, I’ll be a sport, since the blades will be a bit shorter, 100+100 =???

Also, how are you going to really power 4 strips on one battery? And I haven’t even bothered getting into the blade effects, trying to wire all that onto one board, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 04-09-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

FJK I’m sorry (that is not sarcastic but genuine). I ask questions when there is something I do not understand just so I can better my understanding, that is the function of TCSS Forum; yes? Not sure if I’m reading too much into your reply... But I wanted to put that out there.

144+144=288

Oh; so does the board drive a maximum of 180 pixels? Or am I still missing the point? I’ve been reading the manual over before picking up a CFX but there is still lots I am not understanding. I’m just a carpenter.

Sorry Jon! I don’t mean to hijack your thread!

- Steve

Yes, it drives basically a maximum of 180 pixels. 288 > 180 by a lot.

The more power you try to cram through the CFX, you may also start to experience things like voltage ripple (false swings). Also, trying to power 4 strips would become problematic for the battery when you do colors like WHITE which would almost certainly trip the 15A protection on the battery. And the run time would maybe be 10-15 minutes, if you’re lucky. And there’s the issue of trying to connect 2 24 gauge wires to the (-) pads, unless you’re going to beef up to 18 gauge wires to handle the amperage connecting to the board, which will make wiring considerably harder, especially if space is tight.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines