Thread: Science & STEM Teacher seeking advice in assembling low-cost saber for students

Default Science & STEM Teacher seeking advice in assembling low-cost saber for students

Hello -

In the spirit of distance education and keeping my students busy while we're homebound, I'm attempting to put together a video on assembling a bare-bones, low-cost saber.
    I'd like to start building one without sound, then upgrade to a soundboard later, if they can afford it. I can stream this and they can try building it at home.

I've built four sabers using MHS parts, Tri-Cree or Luxeon LED's, and Nano Biscotti or Petit Crouton sound boards, but these parts are out of reach financially for most of my students.

I have a few tentative ideas, and I've scoured Home Despot and other hardware stores for inspiration, but I'm running out of time for a developed plan.

At a minimum, I see using a buckpuck, a single LED, and AAA's. The hilt parts could be a combination of sink tube and PVC, I guess, but I'm not sure what size, length, etc. My students are as enthusiastic about this as they are lacking in skills, so it has to be bone simple.

This may not work, but they really, really want to give it a shot.

Has anyone tried this, or have specific recommendations for easily attainable hilt and blade parts?

Thanks (especially from my students' parents)!

Normally, I would refer you to my pvc saber topic here at TCSS, but since I refuse to pay photo buckets prices, the pictures in the topic aren't there anymore. I have uploaded the pics to another host, but since the topic here is locked, I cannot update it. So, instead, I'll recommend the same topic I have posted over at FX-Sabers. https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=9485.0
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 03-27-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Normally, I would refer you to my pc saber topic here at tcss, but since I refuse to pat photo buckets prices, the pictures in the topic aren't there anymore. I have uploaded the pics to another host, but since the topic here is locked, I cannot update it. So, instead, I'll recommend the same topic I have posted over at fx-sabers. https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=9485.0
    Which topic is locked? I can unlock it for you.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hang on, FJK...fixing at FX first so I can just copy/paste the text here. But it is the pvc saber topic here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...l-on-last-page

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    Hang on, FJK...fixing at FX first so I can just copy/paste the text here. But it is the pvc saber topic here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...l-on-last-page
    OK, I reopened it. Let me know if you have any issues/need any help.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I fixed the tutorial's pics....it starts here: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...l=1#post138540

Hello, fellow project based learning teacher! I have a little (4 years) experience in this area.

What age group?

How many kids?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlemon View Post
    Hello -

In the spirit of distance education and keeping my students busy while we're homebound, I'm attempting to put together a video on assembling a bare-bones, low-cost saber.
    I'd like to start building one without sound, then upgrade to a soundboard later, if they can afford it. I can stream this and they can try building it at home.

I've built four sabers using MHS parts, Tri-Cree or Luxeon LED's, and Nano Biscotti or Petit Crouton sound boards, but these parts are out of reach financially for most of my students.

I have a few tentative ideas, and I've scoured Home Despot and other hardware stores for inspiration, but I'm running out of time for a developed plan.

At a minimum, I see using a buckpuck, a single LED, and AAA's. The hilt parts could be a combination of sink tube and PVC, I guess, but I'm not sure what size, length, etc. My students are as enthusiastic about this as they are lacking in skills, so it has to be bone simple.

This may not work, but they really, really want to give it a shot.

Has anyone tried this, or have specific recommendations for easily attainable hilt and blade parts?

Thanks (especially from my students' parents)!

This is just what I was looking for! As a parent and teacher, thanks, Jay-gon!

PBL! A co-conspirator!

My STEM students are middle-schoolers, mostly 8th grade. About 90 overall. I teach two sections of 8th grade science and three sections of STEM modeling.

They swooned over the light sabers I've been building, so I thought I would try to capture this.
    Thanks to Jay-gon, I might just pull this off.

And you?

You're most welcome and good luck with it!