Thread: LED star mounting

Question LED star mounting

I read on the FX-Sabers forum that LEDs should always be insulated from the heatsink, and that it should be fastened using thermal goop or thermal tape.

I am considering using some thermal grease (Kryonaut Thermal Grizzly) left over from when I was building a computer. Do I have to worry about electrical isolation between the bottom of the LED star and the heatsink, or is it enough to insulate any wires coming off the LED star?

I'm also having some trouble differentiating the LEDs in an RGrB Tri-Cree. There's the red tinted dye, the white dye and the off-white dye. Which corresponds to red, green and royal blue?

I use the thermal tape I get here in the store.

I always test the LED to see which dye is which on the multi-color so I can set up RGB and flash on clash. I just use a low power battery and give the pad a quick tap and try to not get blinded by it

Quote Originally Posted by JamoUp View Post

I always test the LED to see which dye is which on the multi-color so I can set up RGB and flash on clash. I just use a low power battery and give the pad a quick tap and try to not get blinded by it
    An AA battery pack with two NiMh batteries (2.4v) is what I use for tests, not super bright, but and safe for reds too.

Quote Originally Posted by JamoUp View Post
    I use the thermal tape I get here in the store.

or put a piece of paper over the diodes to diffuse the beams.

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."