Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Neopixels no longer work...

I am also a new builder. I had a similar problem with my CFx, but I found out that the bladepower parameter was set to 0 by default. Once I changed that to 100, the blade lit up. Might be worth a shot to check.

- Bob

If you have an old computer ATX supply you can use the 5v on that, or any AC-DC supply that can output 5V.

I'm not sure why you chose to run this at 7.4v but there is a good chance you fried the LEDs. Despite the 5V rating, the LEDs don't really like being driven at full brightness even at that voltage, they get very hot and I have burned out strips while trying to test various parameters even at 5v.

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    hey poconosjon@aol.com have you RTFM for the CFX? The board is not necessarily limited to the 3.7v; p.g. 22 of the CFX manual says the max voltage the board will accept is 9v so the board should be fine.

This is the pack you used correct https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/P...ack-P1171.aspx? CFX manual p.g. 121 (talking about battery requirements) suggest a fully driven RGB draws at least 5000mAh; and 10,000mAh with White flash on clash. These batteries are only 3400mAh.

I'm no CFX expert; just trying to help with pertinent info from the manual.

Stupid question (but I have to ask) have you tried re-charging the battery pack?

- Steve
    Just wanted to chime in here to correct this statement. Batteries have ratings for how long they will last (mAh) and max output amperage. What the CFX manual is stating is not how much mAh you need but how much amperage the battery must be able to put out. Most batteries have a max amperage draw of around 4A which is not enough for NP which can draw up to 10A which is why we sell the 15A batteries.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Steve,

Didn't want you to think I abandoned this conversation. I am in the middle of building a bench power supply so I can properly test the components before buying any more parts. However I am considering a 26650 "big boy" instead of the 18650. I am pasting the specs below, is the 15A something to worry about being too much?
    PRODUCT DETAILS

KeepPower*26650 5200mAh High Discharge Flat Top

Specifications:
    Nominal Capacity: 5200 mAh*
    Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
    Discharge End Voltage: 2.5V
    *Max Continuous Discharging Current: 15A
    Max Pulse Discharging Current: 30A

Thanks again for your input.
    Jon
    Last edited by poconosjon@aol.com; 03-13-2020 at 06:46 PM.

"I am also a new builder. I had a similar problem with my CFx, but I found out that the bladepower parameter was set to 0 by default. Once I changed that to 100, the blade lit up. Might be worth a shot to check."

Bob,
    I will definitely check this... Thanks!
    Last edited by poconosjon@aol.com; 03-13-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    Just wanted to chime in here to correct this statement. Batteries have ratings for how long they will last (mAh) and max output amperage. What the CFX manual is stating is not how much mAh you need but how much amperage the battery must be able to put out. Most batteries have a max amperage draw of around 4A which is not enough for NP which can draw up to 10A which is why we sell the 15A batteries.
    Tim,
    Thanks for the response, I just wish the 7.4 I bought had the specs on the page. No big deal, I take it as lesson learned As soon as you get the batteries in stock, as well as a couple other things I will place my order...

Thanks,
    Jon

Hi Jon

Yes, I agree the shop could have clearer info on certain products - to be fair I think we are all learning the important details of the CFX and Pixel blades as we go (thats not a dig against Tim & the Shop or Plecter labs). It’s a whole different ball game compared to the original in-hilt LEDs and scavenged Hasbro boards...

The battery you spec’d should be fine; the voltage is comparable to the TCSS ones but you’ll get more run time. One thing to keep in mind is the physical dimension of the battery. I think the 26650 run about the size of a “C” cell alkaline; i.e. 1” ~ 1 1/8”. Just keep that in mind when you are designing the saber and chassis.

- Steve

Quote Originally Posted by poconosjon@aol.com View Post
    "I am also a new builder. I had a similar problem with my CFx, but I found out that the bladepower parameter was set to 0 by default. Once I changed that to 100, the blade lit up. Might be worth a shot to check."

Bob,
    I will definitely check this... Thanks!
    Bob,
    I checked the config.txt file and nowhere in the file did it have the blade power parameter. Is it in that file or a different one?

Thanks again,
    Jon

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Everything changes over time.. When we added most batteries there where no Neopixel concerns. Yes we could go back and update the descriptions but that takes time..
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    Everything changes over time.. When we added most batteries there where no Neopixel concerns. Yes we could go back and update the descriptions but that takes time..
    Tim,

I understand and I was not digging at you. Just stating that I wish I had know and did some more research before buying the wrong battery is all I meant. Hopefully you will have the items in stock soon so I can continue my build.

Thanks,
    Jon