Thread: Chassis Set Screw

Default Chassis Set Screw

Hey all,
    I'm in the midst of planning a new build, and came across and interesting quandary. Would there be enough room in the small gap between the threads of a male end MHS piece and the rest of the piece for a 2-56 screw hole? I'm planning on using a PVC chassis and am interested in using a screw there to hold the chassis in place which. I know Madcow uses a similar technique for some of his sabers' chassis. If there isn't enough room for such a screw, would it be possible to even impinge on the space of the threads just a bit?

Thanks

Blog Entries

This is pretty common practice. Although 2-56 seems a bit insufficient to me. 6-32 will just fit but you have to be pretty precise to miss the threads. If you do hit them you can clean them up with some needle files. We usually recommend novices not try this on expensive saber parts unless you’ve bought them to experiment with. 4-40 will fit a little better than 6-32
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

You can use 2-56 screws as long as they’re long enough to get a good grip into the PVC.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Awesome, thanks for the help!