Thread: Dueling stunt with soundboard for flicker. Viable or awful idea?

Default Dueling stunt with soundboard for flicker. Viable or awful idea?

I have had my heart set on a stunt saber meant for pretty heavy dueling. I know these are traditionally made sans sound card so there is less chance of damage happening.

I really like the flicker effect that sound cards can produce. I think it really sells the prop as light saber.

How likely with heavy dueling, is a sound card to get damaged with say, an acrylic disk chassis or even a 3D printed one?

Quote Originally Posted by TheJollySmasher View Post
    I have had my heart set on a stunt saber meant for pretty heavy dueling. I know these are traditionally made sans sound card so there is less chance of damage happening.

I really like the flicker effect that sound cards can produce. I think it really sells the prop as light saber.

How likely with heavy dueling, is a sound card to get damaged with say, an acrylic disk chassis or even a 3D printed one?
    If it’s built properly, the card shouldn’t get damaged at all. If you drop it, stuff may get damaged, but it would be more like a solder joint breaking or something. I’ve used acrylic disks in my sabers for years, and they’ve held up just fine.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

I've done some pretty hard dueling with my friends (always with sound-capable sabers), and the issues I've encountered are as follows (from most common to least common):
    Blade Tips Flying Off (a lot)
    Blade Breakage (not as often)
    Solder Breakage on a Switch's LED Line (usually around the resistor)
    Solder Points breaking off on the LED star (a couple times)
    Chassis Snapped (once)

Never had a sound card itself get damaged, or even a solder point on the sound card come off, so that should give you some idea

Agree with the others. You can do heavy dueling with a light and sound build. The biggest thing is to plan out the internals and make sure things aren’t moving around. And make sure the wires and joints aren’t bearing lots of stress.