Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Parks EL Qui_gon: LED ready 9/15/07

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That Seoul P4 you linked is a WHITE LED! Not green... Seoul's colors aren't anything to bother with yet as they are unproven and on paper aren't even close to what luxeons can get.

The LED itself... the Rebel you saw at LED-tech is what he's using. That's what I sent him. I tested it and it actually was kicking a K2's butt despite the supposedly superior lumens of the K2.

Optics... LED-tech used to have them. FutureElectronics has then though. Look up part "120/180". LED-tech also has a holder for normal optics like TCSS sells but I'll get into why that's not going to work in a bit.

Heatsink... Don made the slug for me. It's simple and efficient. I'm going to get more made.

Pommel... Acerocket has my saber to make new hollow pommels. I've got a lead on anodizing them too. I was planning on getting an extra, if you want in on this PM me.

Size in general... without working the blade holder to 1" a normal star is not going to fit! This is why I started looking at the Rebels. They're SMALL! I ended up with them because as I tested they proved to be better and I didn't want to mess with emitter verions of K2's or something.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Youngling

Hi X Wing. Thanks so much for the quick and helpful response.

I'll follow up your advice for the optics.

That was actually a green P4 I linked to - if you check the part number on the page before http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Power...-c_121_78.html
    You'll see it's the same as in the link in my previous post (LT-1166).

From what you said with the star being too big for the setup with the narrower blade holder, it looks like that wouldn't be an option anyway.
    I wonder if anyone has used this for other projects though i.e. with 1" blades? On paper the Max lumens of the green star P4 (LT-1166) is nearly twice that of the green PCB-mounted rebel (LT-015(182 to 95).

Then again the emitter/unmounted rebel (LT-015 is listed as max lumens 145, which makes me wonder if it's fairly straightforward to mount it to one of the smaller 15mm stars (LT-1100) and if this would make it suitable for the narrower 3/4" blade/holder setup? And would it keep the higher lumens output in this setup?

I don't expect anyone to answer all these, as much as anything I'm thinking out loud in case it's of interest to others as well...

And I do also appreciate you saying that what's on paper isn't always what our eyes tell us.

I'll PMed you re pommel and heatsink. Thanks again.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Ooops... I guess I didn't read close enough. I'm also a bit ticked at LED-tech as I just got an order from them and they shipped the wrong stuff! I orded the Rebels on PCB, but they sent me the plain ones. Now I've got to ship it back.

The Rebels do so much better though... here's a pic I took when I first futzed with a Rebel. K2 is on the right.

http://www.incomsabers.com/images/rebcomp.jpg

Not very great pictures, but it's the same blade and regulated drivers on all. The difference is way apparent. The K2 was weak and puny.

You can try that Seoul LED but in the emitter form. I didn't like that idea because they are much more likely to come off in extreme uses. Standard optics are going need a trim too I believe. Polymer optics has a small hex optic just like I used on the Rebel though, I don't know the part number though.

I'd only consider the unmounted Rebel if you have the equipment. I've tried my best and the lumen difference isn't as apparent. I'll assume it's because I'm kind of "hacking it" without proper equipment.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    The Rebels do so much better though... here's a pic I took when I first futzed with a Rebel. K2 is on the right.

http://www.incomsabers.com/images/rebcomp.jpg
    Nice! Looks like rebels are definately the way forwards, at least for green and blue.
    I'm not anti-social, society is anti me

Saber-carying member of the FSM,
    Barfly at the Intergalactic Kegger

Youngling

That does look impressive - and it's not like the K2 is shabby either.
    I think the rebel will fit the bill fine.
    I can always order some stuff for experimenting with as well...

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

the rebel works real well.

BLUE 3- Ready