Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Parks EL Qui_gon: LED ready 9/15/07

Hey Vortex, if you use a 3/4" blade try Ultra's DIY film. Just tell him it's for a 3/4" blade and they'll roll it tight enough to fit. I have it in two sabers at the moment and it works very well for those blades. Here's my green one:

That's a 1500 ma K2 driven on an MR Vader board in the middle of the afternoon in my living room. Once I get a the Ultraboards I've ordered, I'll be installing one in that saber amd the other in the RLSA I recently converted.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xwingband
    I don't think 3/4" is that bad. You loose dueling and brightness, but the balance is fantastic.

I think I'm just going to lathe down some of the custom heatsinks to 3/4" and setscrew them in place. Bloody simple.
    yup, I don't think a 3/4 blade will be that bad.

thanks jay, I got 2 more sets of film coming.

BLUE 3- Ready

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

hehe!

I got my Qui-gon in the mail today. It is a Hez saber, but constructed by Parks. Meaning... it's slightly older? Also it has a switch on the back like the Larbel sabers.

Otherwise it's the same. I actually like the switch there because I will find a way to make one go in the traditional spot. Then where the switch was I'll probably mount a recharge port.

I had it apart within 30 minutes of getting it.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

I haven't seen that switch on the back. Can you post a pic X-wing?

MC

Awsome X!! hows the guts set up?

BLUE 3- Ready

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It's constructed the same as every other parks I own for the electronics. That little resin filled tube and a slug screwed into the bottom of the blade holder...

It came apart a lot easier than my other Parks'... except for the fact the screws were so tight I needed a power drill.

Unscrew the pommel, covertech and switch (smaller version of the TCSS one). Then the shroud slides off and reveals a single set screw and four phillips screws near the top of the shroud. Take all those out and the grips tube slides out... and the emitter comes out exactly like yours.

There is a bit of an indent milled out of the shroud for the switch to be easily screwed in and out, but that's not biggie. Means I wont have to attempt any modify to mount a recharge port there.

The actually switch is just a screw. I'll probably dremel off the threads and make it a cap for a momentary. Then I'm thinking a "tactile" for a second switch... drill a small hole for it's head then pressure fit it with the blade holder. I'll put it in the back at the very top of the shroud.

Plans, plans... not quite going to be Madcow's, but I'll make it awesome anyway.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

i'm sure you will. very nice X!

BLUE 3- Ready

Wow...I wasn't aware that the older parks sabers had the switch in another location. Pretty neat that you got an older version, I like your idea of making the switch into a recharge port when you Lux it up.

-Kyp

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yeah, It really won't make a difference to me. If anything it's less work I have to do.

It's really a tangle since I wasn't paying attention to exactly who was doing what back when these were being made. Like I guess the ones with switches on the back are Hez sabers (designed by Hez commissioned to be built by parks though). Then there are Larbel's and Park's normal ones... quite confusing. I notice the Larbel's (?) have the little notches visible at the top although the Larbel Qui-gon is the easiest to spot... it has the correct grips!

Well, I like to make drawings or something to map out my ideas...

Mine will be similar to vortex's. I'm having my own heatsink slug made to replace Park's plug. I shouldn't have to mod anything inside that way. I ordered some of those Rebels on PCB's. While not the best bin they still will beat a III and match a K2 blow for blow with less amperage. I can easily fit it 3/4" too.

All that is great so that someday I could feasibly just bore out the emitter to 1" without impact to anything else.
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Hey X, I don't know if you have read anything over at fx sabers but yoda and parks I guess is getting together to design something for parks' sabers to convert them to lux. Not sure how long it will take em or if I can wait that long but it's an idea. I'm thinkin I would love to put erv's board in there, (if it fits) my luke board fits perfectly.

BLUE 3- Ready