Thread: Heat sink and ABS

Default Heat sink and ABS

Working on a 3d printed chassis and I'm thinking through the emitter end of it now... I'm trying to attach heat sink to the inner chassis so that they come out of the saber as one. All the external pieces are MHS V1.

I'm wondering how hot that heatsink gets and if it'll be okay to be indirect contact with printed ABS. Ideally, I would like to replace the silver/aluminum piece with a printed part and then thread the copper piece into the entire assembly. Another option would be something that fits into the channels in the coper - this wouldn't completely hold it in place but it's a start. A third option would be to drill and tap the back of the copper and devise something a mechanical connection to attach it to the printed parts.

Any thoughts or guidance?

BTW, the ABS prints at 230-250 degrees celsius (~450 degrees fahrenheit) and I've used it for a phone mount in my car, so I know it's good for at least 120 degrees fahrenheit (Arizona parking lots).

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

It would be no problem to attach it to the can.. using a 3d printed can would be a horrible idea though. The copper transmits the heat to the aluminum can and then that to the hilt..
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    It would be no problem to attach it to the can.. using a 3d printed can would be a horrible idea though. The copper transmits the heat to the aluminum can and then that to the hilt..
    Yeah, that makes sense. The metallic can need to be in contact with the hilt to dissipate the heat.

Any idea about the temperatures on the heat sink? Would it be safe to have the print in direct contact with the heat sink?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I would think so yes
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop