Thread: 18650 protection circuit board dead?

Default 18650 protection circuit board dead?

Long story short I caused a short to ground, I think, and lost power from the battery. I removed the battery from the saber and probed the leads and sure enough 0v. I thought the top of the battery looked crooked so I removed the pvc shrink wrap around everything to check the connection of the protection PCB on the top of the battery and found that everything is in tact. Checking voltage to the board and it registers at 3.43V, but if I move to the pad that the ground wire is soldered to I get 0v. Any ideas on how to fix this? It’s the 15A 18650 available from TCSS. Does the PCB just need to be replaced? If so where can I find an appropriate protection circuit board? The highest amperage one I’ve found limits current output to 13.2A (iirc)

Thank you in advance for the help!

Without seeing photos it's hard to guess, but it could be a short circuit.

Got it solved. Turns out that if there is a short the protection circuit on the battery will isolate power out of the battery until it sees power in, ie. charging the battery. Am I imagining it or is this information not easily found? It would be handy to have it on the product page for instance.

I’m not sure you’re following what I’m talking about. The battery was in the saber, and working, I induced a short to ground (oops), the battery protection kicked in, I fixed the short to ground, and couldn’t get a find the information on how to reset the battery protection. The battery was fully charged prior to this happening, thus there wasn’t an apparent need to charge the battery. It’s all fixed and running so it’s a moot point.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by HardVision View Post
    Got it solved. Turns out that if there is a short the protection circuit on the battery will isolate power out of the battery until it sees power in, ie. charging the battery. Am I imagining it or is this information not easily found? It would be handy to have it on the product page for instance.
    I know I had read this information about protection circuits before, just can't recall where... rechecked store page and CF manuals and didn't see it in either location, but I know somewhere I had come across that exact description of how the circuit works... would probably be helpful to others to make that information more readily findable!

Probably was when we still had to make our own circuits for the batteries.