Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CFX + RGBA + Trident Board?

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Default CFX + RGBA + Trident Board?

Hey y'all! So I have it in my mind to make a color-changing saberstaff, with RGBA main LEDs to get some really nice Amber hues... For which my initial thought would be to go with the CFX.

Now the weird part is that I was thinking instead of having to use 2 CFXs, maybe I could use the Trident Board for a delayed start on the second end of the staff. But from what I can tell, that uses LED pad 4 to run off of, which would negate my hopes for an Amber LED there...

Anyone have any ideas I am not thinking of, that would allow both the RGBA and a second blade running off the One CFX?

Any/all ideas are welcome!

Any chance you would consider neopixel? If so, on the latest firmware of the CFX you can use the L2 data pad to do a delayed ignition of one side (I used the L2 for the quillions on a recent crossguard for delay and it worked great, should work similarly well for your application. )

The main issue he would run into is there are no RGBA neopixel strips, just RGB and RGBW. Though I bet you could get a decent Amber out of an RGBW. My thought for this might be to use the accent pads which then go to PEX (power extender) boards that drive the second HB LED (you would need to use 4 pads for this) then set up the config for the accents to fire up a few seconds after main blade ignition. It should work, but it's up to you on the design.

Edit: Though going this route you would not have the same control of drive power to the secondary blade LED as you would the primary.
    Last edited by RavenXp; 01-22-2020 at 08:04 PM.

I did some digging and I did find some RGBA neopixel strips. But, they were 60/m density (typically want 144/m density for blades) and they were 12v-24v drives. Wouldn't work for a saber build. Though if you dug deeper you might be able to find 144/m density strings that are RGBA that are also 5v.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Wow, thanks for digging so much Raven! Yeah, I'm hesitant to do the Neopixel (for this particular saber anyways) for exactly the reasons you noted.

Not a bad idea on running PEX's off the accent pads though, I hadn't thought of that... I wonder how big a difference the drive power control would make... hmmmm...

I know with the newer CFX accent sequencer you have some fading control with some of the pads but I think it's tied to crystal chamber effects. Even if you use the normal accent sequencer option (on/off) it would basically be like setting one of the LED dies to 1023 in the drive parameter. So basically full on. Though, you might want to bring this idea to the keeper of the buttered toast (erv) and see if he might include an update in the firmware for the sequencer PWM pads to have that kind of drive control.

Didn’t connect the LED choice to the desired color...understand now. I do agree with Raven that you can probably get a decent amber with the standard neopixel strips...I get so many colors out of them, and the benefits of using them with the latest CFX functionality is pretty compelling. I bet Erv will have a solution, however most of the new features are definitely plexterpixel focused (no pun intended!)

Might end up weighing the exact blade behavior you are looking for VS the exact color you are looking for. Also, your ability for scrolling on your staff vs fade with a hpled.

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Okay, so wondering if the following Wiring would work, with the exception of the Amber LED just turning on "non-delayed" compared with the RGB LEDs which would turn on "delayed" (depending on the Accent LED's Timing parameters)... Wondering if this would keep the Drive Control there, since they would be running off the Main LED PWM pads now?

CFX-Top.jpg

CFX-Bottom.jpg

Jedi Padawan
    Sith Adept
    Jedi Padawan

Emailed back and forth with Erv, and it looks like he suggests the below setup for what I would like to do. Just wanted to let everyone else know what the answer was from the man himself!

CFX-Top.jpg

CFX-Bottom.jpg

Nice. Wow... Complex setup.