Thread: SMDs. AARRGH

Default SMDs. AARRGH

Hi all. So I'm soldering my first ever SMD resistors, and it's been a struggle. Those little buggers are challenging!
    I have, what I think, are good connections. Mind you, I have no way to check, so that brings me here. Could one of the maters here have a cursory glance at my work and let me know if it looks ok? Also, one of the little suckers flipped over on me when I attached it. Is this an issue, or does it matter at all? Thanks!20200117_111019.jpg

They look alright for a first time go, and no it being flipped shouldn't effect it resistors aren't directional. One tip is to tin one pad first, then grab the resistor with your tweezers, then when ready touch your iron to the pad at the same time as one of the ends of the resistor. The goal is to melt the solder already on the pad to join the resistor to the pad. then once it looks like it's joined, remove the iron and hold the resistor there till the solder sets. that should hold the resistor in place well enough to join it to the other pad.

Those look fine. Resistors do not have a specific polarity (like diodes) and can be attached any which way. Of course, it is nice if they are facing up so you can read the rating, but it is not necessary at all.

Practice makes perfect with SMD soldering. I would recommend buying some solder paste and a good pair of small bent-nose tweezers if you don't already have them. Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help. I mistakingly
    pre-tinned both pads which made it harder to hold in place. Hindsight and 20/20 I suppose!
    Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback. Now, it's back to the installation!

If you check out the recent video I did regarding CFX, I cover soldering SMD chips.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I use the painters tape trick from the GCS/TCSS neo blade build video. Always worked perfectly. You can definitely check that the resistor is in place by checking resistance on connections on either side of the solder.