Thread: Please help me with picking right led driver

Default Please help me with picking right led driver

Hi all,
    I have never used a LED driver, but now in my new project i need it. I need to pick the right driver for this led:
    Code:
    https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Custom-Tri-Cree-LED-with-modified-base-P1139.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3cm9El8BYpGGISKZRu2F3hZFAiIVjd411xaFqp9pKnsNytRXHrdiFBj7Y
    for the red one - here is specs:
    Deep Red Cree Part# XPEEPR-L1-0000-00C01
    425 Radiant Flux @ 350mA
    Forward Voltage @1000mA = 2.5v

Recommend me right driver please or tell me necessary specification of driver.
    Thanks a lot

So, wait do you mean you're going to have all three as the deep red dies?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    So, wait do you mean you're going to have all three as the deep red dies?
    Hi, I didnīt understand properly what do you mean - yes, all three emitters on that "star" are deep red.

Are you just building a stunt saber (no sounds/effects)? It's capable of 1000ma, so that is what you would use, or 750 if you want it to run cooler and have better battery life. You need a driver for each LED if you are using a 3.7V battery, or you can wire everything in series for a 7.4v battery.

Not stunt, battle saber no sound, just led.so if I understand correctly - with 3,7V battery I can wire led emitters in serial order with one driver or resistor (so I count resistance for 750-1000mA) or in parallel order with 3 drivers or resistors(counted 3 resistors, each for 250ma), is it right?

No.
    If serial you will need a 7.4v.

A saber with no electronics, just an LED is what we call a stunt saber.

Yeah, I ment 7,4 7,4 for parallel of course I was thinking about english and have written bull****
    Interesting - I thought that drivers are used mainly because multi-emitter LEDs. What is advantage of driver then? In my point of view is just the same as resistor.

Driver gives constant current no matter what the voltage, resistor just limits the current based on a specific voltage. If you calculate your resistor at 3.7v you will get much higher current at full charge (4.2v), then less as the battery decreases.

Parallel - 3.7v and 3 drivers, one for each LED
    Serial - 7.4v and 1 driver