Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honor-Light MHS saber with custom etching, simple crystal chamber

Post Honor-Light MHS saber with custom etching, simple crystal chamber

I saw that TCSS is now selling etched shrouds, and one of them looked similar to what I did. I was inspired to post pics so people could see what a little etching adds to a build.
    As it's a Jedi Knight's blade, I etched the jedi order symbol and "Honor" and "Light" in Aurebesh.

Nano Biscotte v1
    Luxeon Rebel Star Blue
    Covertec clip with recharge port and twist kill key (don't remove kill key to wear saber on belt, just twist it ON/OFF)
    Quartz crystal in the chamber (originally I used an acrylic crystal)
    Fun pre- fidget spinner bearing on the pommel (so relaxing)
    Scarred and well-used

When opening it up to tweak the setting, I broke the switch wiring. Twice. So I redesigned and rebuilt the internal homemade 14650 battery holder/chassis.
    Hope you like it.

Last edited by bramik; 01-11-2020 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Fixed the video link

I appreciate the efforts you made - I've only made one for now. Nice work! Now I am dreaming of neopixel with the latest Crystal Focus card. The technology just keeps getting better, including the sound effects.

Thanks for your kind words! I looked at your saber thread and could relate to what you said about the biggest challenge being managing the internal space. I see sabers posted here where the interior is more intricate and detailed than the exterior and I keep saying "wow" I enjoy seeing the work of skilled, talented and passionate sabersmiths! Lacking a drill press or mill or lathe, me and the Dremel spend a lot of time together. My second saber is well underway, and ideas for the third one keep nagging at me!

Sorry if you mentioned it in your video and I just missed it, but what was you method for etching? Saltwater or acid? Curious as I'm going to be attempting some etching details on my next build and yours came out looking very nice!
    Darjetii, chaabar te genet jetiise, kaysh tion'ad taylir te vorpan kal. Kaysh oya'karir gar jii. Kyr'am cuyir gebbar de.

Thanks! I really like the etching results and plan to do more on my next project. Using ideas from http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...hed-Sith-Saber and
    https://billchambersprintmaker.files...m-and-zinc.pdf

For the etchant, I used 50% copper sulfate (Zep root kill), and 50% table salt.(the recommended ratio was 45% copper sulfate, 45% table salt, and 10% sodium bisulfate, which I didn't purchase.) I also used my battery charger to apply a small DC current. Probably unnecessary.

I painted on nail polish as a resist, and then scratched it off where I wanted the etching. If I had a vinyl cutter then I would cut out a pattern, and try that as a resist. But I don't have one, so I had to do it all by hand.

Looks awesome! Did you take the MHS grenade piece and cut out the windows for the crystal? Looks that way to me, and I look at as many builds as I can for inspiration and have t seen that yet!

This is probably ignorance as well, but what parts did you use for the recharge in the covertec? I haven’t seen that before either...assuming it’s the smaller port?

Gotta say that's an awesome build. Great detail. And the weathering is top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    This is probably ignorance as well, but what parts did you use for the recharge in the covertec? I haven’t seen that before either...assuming it’s the smaller port?
    It's the standard 2.1mm recharge port. I dremeled down the covertec a bit so the port fit snug. Then made a flat spot on the barrel of the kill plug, cut the plug off flush with the end of the port, and notched a slot in the exterior end. With the notch, I use my fingernail to twist the kill plug and when the flat spot lines up, the soundboard powers on. Kill plug stays in the recharge port, and I can still use the covertec belt clip to carry the saber.

And @RavenXp thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Looks awesome! Did you take the MHS grenade piece and cut out the windows for the crystal? Looks that way to me, and I look at as many builds as I can for inspiration and have t seen that yet!
    Oh, yes. That's exactly what I did.