Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stormguard - an MHS saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    nice build! It almost looks to me like the shroud flares out on the sides. Is that the case, or just the way it is lit?

Thanks! That's just the lighting. I cut the shroud from the shroud material in the shop, so it's a consistent diameter. You're right that it does look that way though. I never would have noticed it until you mentioned it.

This looks really cool! What chassis is that? And can you talk more about the grip? I didn't think TCSS did that style of powder coating anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxyfalcon View Post
    This looks really cool! What chassis is that? And can you talk more about the grip? I didn't think TCSS did that style of powder coating anymore.
    Thanks! I don't want to link directly to the chassis, because it's technically another store. The link in my OP will take you to the main page of the Shapeways designer who designed it. You can find it by looking at the 1.24" (MHS Compatible) section there.

I'm assuming you're asking about the ribbed section of the hilt... I had them powder coat it, and then I paid them a lathe fee to turn down the ribs to a smaller diameter to make it more like a choke. So really, it was two services on one part, and they did an excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by cvsickle View Post
    I'm assuming you're asking about the ribbed section of the hilt... I had them powder coat it, and then I paid them a lathe fee to turn down the ribs to a smaller diameter to make it more like a choke. So really, it was two services on one part, and they did an excellent job.
    Yes this exactly! I was thinking of having something similar done on a part. Was it pretty easy to work with them on getting the custom lathe work you were looking for? I wasn't sure what the best way to approach this was, I figured I should send them an email before placing the order but I imagine they're pretty swamped right now with all of the holiday orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxyfalcon View Post
    Yes this exactly! I was thinking of having something similar done on a part. Was it pretty easy to work with them on getting the custom lathe work you were looking for? I wasn't sure what the best way to approach this was, I figured I should send them an email before placing the order but I imagine they're pretty swamped right now with all of the holiday orders.
    Yeah for sure send them an email describing what you want. That's a pretty standard practice for custom work like that.

Blog Entries

Looks pretty clean. Nice job!
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    Looks pretty clean. Nice job!
    Thanks!

That looks really great, am I haven’t seen the smoke chrome. But I think I am going to have to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    That looks really great, am I haven’t seen the smoke chrome. But I think I am going to have to use it!

I'm kinda in love with the smoke chrome. Also, I'm pretty sure I had the smoke chrome parts sandblasted before they were powdercoated. I'm pretty sure the smoke chrome is slightly transparent.

I remember using that color on the grips of Traveller. It came out sweet.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com