Thread: CopperNova Cooler Heat Sink not fitting

Default CopperNova Cooler Heat Sink not fitting

As the title suggests, I’m having problems with this new heat sink fitting in my saber project.
    DE00B734-9855-447C-A26C-5B38ABF1D8D6.jpg

I’ve got the MHSv1 blade holder Style 9, along with the choke Style 3.
    BD6C672D-C829-4D8B-ABD5-EED6501A5A7E.jpg

I haven’t read any obvious reasons on the product descriptions about these parts not being compatible...but when all placed together, there is a gap between the blade holder and the choke.
    2D856697-95B4-430E-B4E5-CEEFDC7B7F4E.jpg

I’ve checked all my assembly many times to see if I had something put together incorrectly...but everything I can see suggests they’ve all been assembled as intended. Am I missing something?!?

Well, if you have the Tri-Cree already installed and the copper heat sink screwed in all the way (which it looks like you may not), you clearly need the flat heat sink for your build, since you have a choke section right there.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Well, if you have the Tri-Cree already installed and the copper heat sink screwed in all the way (which it looks like you may not), you clearly need the flat heat sink for your build, since you have a choke section right there.
    I have done so with the tri-Cree dry-fitted, along with the heat sink screwed in all the way, and I’m guessing this type of heat sink just doesn’t fit with these pieces...without modifying the heat sink. I’ve dry-fitted the pieces together many times, both with and without the tri-Cree, and it won’t close all the way either way.

As you mention, under normal circumstances...this choke piece just doesn’t work with this heat sink. I will modify it to allow the heat sink to go down into the choke. I was simply hoping there might have been a solution that would allow me to use this heat sink that didn’t require altering the heat sink itself. But - I can do that if that is what it will take. I’d prefer to use this larger heat sink rather than the thin one.

Then yeah, it’ll have to be modified. Just one of the many joys of Sabersmithing.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Thanks for the reply. Luckily, I think the modification will be pretty simple to allow it to recess further into the choke.

Yeah, if you have a Dremel, and grind down the bottom diameter of the copper heat sink, it should fit relatively easily.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

That is exactly what I did, and the piece does fit now.

The thing that makes me wonder is that it appeared like it was meant to fit, but was literally about 1/2 mm too wide to sink down into the choke. What I wonder is if that is pure coincidence, or was it intended to fit, but something between design and production was overlooked, resulting in a piece that is ever so slightly too large for its purpose when using a choke. (I don’t know if all chokes have the same inner diameter, or if it was specific to the one I’m using).

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

It should fit..we tested some here and they fit fine.. must have just been a fluke with one of the parts.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop