Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: 2020 TCSS Saber Building Contest

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    Hey Light Bringer. Ha ha ha; It was apparently a mutual feeling as I voted for yours! What really sold me was you crystal chamber. Nice stuff man!

- Steve
    Thanks man, I spent a while trying to get it the way I wanted it, and mounting it differently than I have in the past.

Great stuff though, Its always cool getting to see how everyones creativity comes out in the builds

Really nice work guys. I was torn between Echo and One With The Force, both looking completely awesome! In the end, I voted for the winner. Congrats. Now, eagerly awaiting the posts of all the glamour.

Greenie

Ha! Awesome suff dannv! A well deserved win on your part.

If I could ask; what is your setup for photographing stuff; what camera do you use? What lens? And my biggest question - what do you use for lighting? The saber was leaps and bounds ahead of what I was going for but I cant get over the quality of your photos (thats really the reason it got my vote)

- Steve

​I have sent the winners an email with their Gift Certificate info.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Awesome contest entries! It was so hard to choose a vote.

Echo was pretty incredible, I had never seen a sliding crystal chamber reveal done that way, and the chamber itself was beautiful work. Still putting mine together, I can tell you put in some careful planning. Beautiful!

One With the Force was also incredible. The most striking features there was the emitter shroud and the etching overall. Great shaping and beautiful etching! I’m curious as to how you got such great details with such a deep etch. I’m hoping you post your build!

The Unnamed Saber got my vote for the great crystal chassis, though it was close between that and what appears to be Darth Chasm’s or JediSeth’s handiwork. Both beautiful sabers.

Thanks for showing off your work!
    Last edited by Kreyhn; 08-26-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreyhn View Post
    Awesome contest entries! It was so hard to choose a vote.

Echo was pretty incredible, I had never seen a sliding crystal chamber reveal done that way, and the chamber itself was beautiful work. Still putting mine together, I can tell you put in some careful planning. Beautiful!

One With the Force was also incredible. The most striking features there was the emitter shroud and the etching overall. Great shaping and beautiful etching! I’m curious as to how you got such great details with such a deep etch. I’m hoping you post your build!

The Unnamed Saber got my vote for the great crystal chassis, though it was close between that and what appears to be Darth Chasm’s or JediSeth’s handiwork. Both beautiful sabers.

Thanks for showing off your work!
    Thanks kreyhn! Although there are definitely some adjustments I would make in future builds, I learned some super useful tricks on that crystal chamber build to incorporate later on! Thank you for the vote!

Quote Originally Posted by null View Post
    Ha! Awesome suff dannv! A well deserved win on your part.

If I could ask; what is your setup for photographing stuff; what camera do you use? What lens? And my biggest question - what do you use for lighting? The saber was leaps and bounds ahead of what I was going for but I cant get over the quality of your photos (thats really the reason it got my vote)

- Steve
    For lighting I used one studio stronger e and shot through a large division panel (part of a large 5 in 1 set.) The surface is a 2x4 foot piece of the white board you can make white boards out of. I. Use a canon 5d m4, but any decent camera will do. For good sharp images I usually use the Canon 100mm Macro. I hope that helps.

For those wonder I g, I will try to push some pics and a description of how I did the etching,

Back when I was younger I fancied myself a photographer and do still have an interest in it, so thanks for the info dannv; it does help a lot.

I have an old Nikon 3100 with a 50mm macro that I should probably pull out and use more... I just used an iPhone for my photos.

For lighting I used one studio stronger e and shot through a large division panel
    Is that like diffuser box setup or something or just a setup of reflectors?

the white board you can make white boards out of
    Oh, so like "Dry Erase" board material? Nice! I never would have thought of that.

Again, thanks for your time and the info.

- Steve