Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Color-changing blade with flash on clash - has to be Neopixel, right?

Default Color-changing blade with flash on clash - has to be Neopixel, right?

So am planning out my first build - and in for a penny, in for a pound as they say. The goal is to have the default be white (maybe a touch of blue in there) with the ability to cycle through the "traditional" colors of red/green/blue/purple, so was planning on going RGrB Tri-Cree XP-E2. However, I'd love some flash on clash goodness in there as well (planning on using the CFX so why not?!) so rethinking it now somewhat since I've read in multiple places that the only way of doing FOC with multi color is to go with an RGBW cree, which I'd obviously have to source elsewhere since alas TCSS doesn't sell them yet.

Neopixel builds, however, don't seem to have that limitation. Whatever colors, flash on clash, they'll even make you a cup of coffee when you're done. At the expense of lasting maybe 45 mins (less since I'm planning on a white/silver blade) unless I cram a 26650 in there.

Can someone bang my head against the wall and point out that my information about FOC with multiple colors using a tri-cree is inaccurate? Or should I be thinking Neopixel?

I've done FoC on plenty of sabers using an RGB cree, a fourth white die isn't required for that.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

White using a Tri-CREE is all three colors at the same time. Of course, that does eat up battery power faster. And White with a little Blue is also known as Silver in this hobby. I’ll save the head bashing for when you really need it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    White using a Tri-CREE is all three colors at the same time. Of course, that does eat up battery power faster. And White with a little Blue is also known as Silver in this hobby. I’ll save the head bashing for when you really need it.
    Ooop, fair enough on the adegan silver. (And bonus points for pocketing the head bashing card for later!)

Yeah, I'm figuring that the 3.7v 18650 Panasonic with 3,400 mAh will give (about) an hour and a half assuming they're all on full blast. That said, the same battery will give MAYBE 30 minutes on a Neopixel blade, figuring two strips of 120 Neopixels on each side. And that's not accounting for power consumed elsewhere.

You’ll need the battery specifically for Neopixel. The battery we use for Tri-Cree will NOT power Neopixels properly. And the Tri-CREE times is more like an hour if you’re talking about White. Longer if it’s just a mixed color (2 colors) and about 2.5 hours if only Red or Blue or Green.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

You’ll need the battery specifically for Neopixel. The battery we use for Tri-Cree will NOT power Neopixels properly. And the Tri-CREE times is more like an hour if you’re talking about White. Longer if it’s just a mixed color (2 colors) and about 2.5 hours if only Red or Blue or Green.
    I thought the usual one for the neopixels was the Panasonic 18650? (I'd honestly prefer something beefier like the 26650 which I've seen people doing in crossguard builds, or with easily removeable 18650s)

It is, BUT you will need the 15A version. The 4A version is for the Tri-Crees.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

It is, BUT you will need the 15A version. The 4A version is for the Tri-Crees.
    Oooh, yeah. 4A with tri-cree wouldn't end well.

WHY CAN'T SOMEONE MAKE A 14,000 mAh 18600?!?! WHY??!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
    Oooh, yeah. 4A with tri-cree wouldn't end well.

WHY CAN'T SOMEONE MAKE A 14,000 mAh 18600?!?! WHY??!?!?!?
    Because that would gain you NOTHING!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Because that would gain you NOTHING!
    You..... You are someone I shall have to have a beer with someday!