Thread: New apprentice builder from Ireland (erm, California now tho)

Default New apprentice builder from Ireland (erm, California now tho)

Hey all

Like most people on here (I suspect) I grew up in love with the movies, and as a kid fantasized about owning a "real" lightsaber. Over the years, real life took over and my Star Wars dreams sorta faded into the background until the new trilogy was released, which coincided with my daughter falling in love with them. (She's five, started early, so proud!) She's become addicted to Star Wars Rebels and one of the highlights of my day is her coming home from kindergarten, dropping her bag and shouting "DAD CAN WE WATCH THE NEXT ONE!??!" She worships Ahsoka, which had me thinking... hmm, maybe I can get her a toy Ahsoka lightsaber for Christmas.

So I googled it.

And fell down the rabbit hole.

The things I've seen. Within about 15 minutes I went from thinking "There's gotta be a cheap little toy version" to "Wow, you can BUILD these things?" 24 hours later, all thoughts of a saber for my daughter had disappeared (She's five. She'll get over it!) and were replaced by "Hmm, aside from battery life there doesn't seem to be any reason to NOT go neopixel for the money" and trying to work out how to fabricate an ornate chassis with a crystal chamber.

That was a week ago. Since then I've basically been staring at youtube for 5-6 hours a day (wanna be Rob Petkau when I grow up) and have absorbed the TCSS starter build vids to where I'm now actually trying to design and plan something. I'm handy with a soldering iron and LOVE making things, but seeing that this will be something I'm definitely gonna be leaning on a lot of you for help on, until I get my feet under me.

Happy to be here, and looking forward to getting going! (And am sure my daughter will get a saber at SOME point...!)

Hello there. Welcome to the party ubermick. I look forward to seeing what you build.
    And that rabbit hole, watch out, it's very deep.

Greenie

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    Hello there. Welcome to the party ubermick. I look forward to seeing what you build.
    And that rabbit hole, watch out, it's very deep.

Greenie
    Pfft, I've eyed your builds mate, I'm not showing you a THING until I'm at least competent!!

So many good YouTube videos out there. One that helped me a lot on my first build was the Let’s Build a Graflex series since it covers every aspect. Certainly most suited to a Graflex build, but same concepts for all.

Love those. Inner chassis do they sell as akit