Thread: SPEAKER - WOW SOUND 28mm 3W - Which Speaker Holder works for this?

Default SPEAKER - WOW SOUND 28mm 3W - Which Speaker Holder works for this?

Hey Gang! I recently picked up one of the new TCS WOWSound WOWSpeakers from TCSS.

Before I try and install it in my SPKRV4 Holder, I figure I'd better double check with y'all to see if it actually fits in there or not since the description for the holder only states...

"Can be used with the Premium or 2W bass speaker."

... and doesn't mention if the 28mm WOW 4W Speaker will fit or not.

If it does fit, do we have to remove the foam lips?

And if we do have to remove the foam lips, is there enough recess in the holder to prevent the cone from bonking into anything beyond the end of the holder?

If it doesn't fit in this holder at all, which holder here at TCSS would work?

Ridire,

I use TCS WOW speakers all the time. It should be fine in your Spkr4 holder, its the same relative size as the Veco Bass 28mm sold also at TCSS. Now, the sticky foam that comes on their face, I remove that; however when using a chassis that contains the sound board and speaker, I have found that it helps to put that sticky circle of foam on the backside of the speaker, between the chassis and speaker. But, I think speaker holder 4, that won't work, because the speaker goes inside of holder 4 best I can recall.

You'll have to check your clearance to the pommel, best to have some space, a resonance chamber, between the speaker and the pommel. Also good to ventilate the back side of speaker holder 4 so air can freely flow behind the speaker as its doing its thing making waves in the air.

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thanks @Tom Tilmon ! That's a neat trick inverting the foam in a chassis holder!

The SPKRV4 Holder does have a snap fit recess for the speakers lip, but I don't think it will accommodate the WOW Speaker's Solder Tabs without modification since they come out flush from the speaker's plastic lip ring which is beneath the two rings of foam.

I suppose I could take a file to the plastic there on top of the solder pads and remove a bit of material to make it fit within the recess.

But, I think I'll redraw the speaker holder section of my Chassis design specifically for the WOW Speaker and then I won't have to worry about smashing it in there and either breaking it or getting it stuck.

Thank you again for the tips!