Thread: Better joints on neo blade strips?

Default Better joints on neo blade strips?

Hi all...apologize if this thread already exists, but didn’t find it on a quick search. I am building lots of neo blades these days, and messing around with 3D printed quillions, so I have been wiring lots of string blades. I watched Robs/TCSS’ and Megatooth’s instructional videos a year ago and they were super helpful. Especially Robs tactic to twist and hot glue the wires. That said, I am finding the joints on the strips to be the weak point in the setup I’m a consistent basis. The stock wires don’t seem to stand up to much bending. I have rewired many times and find it challenging to get a good pre tin on the pads on the strip. All of my blades work well eventually, but I would be much happier if I could get something I am super confident in, like we can with recharge port, speakers or even board connections.

Hoping that others can share tips and tricks that are working well!

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Sometimes there will be a coating on the pads. Some mild abrasion and flux should help.

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    Hi all...apologize if this thread already exists, but didn’t find it on a quick search. I am building lots of neo blades these days, and messing around with 3D printed quillions, so I have been wiring lots of string blades. I watched Robs/TCSS’ and Megatooth’s instructional videos a year ago and they were super helpful. Especially Robs tactic to twist and hot glue the wires. That said, I am finding the joints on the strips to be the weak point in the setup I’m a consistent basis. The stock wires don’t seem to stand up to much bending. I have rewired many times and find it challenging to get a good pre tin on the pads on the strip. All of my blades work well eventually, but I would be much happier if I could get something I am super confident in, like we can with recharge port, speakers or even board connections.

Hoping that others can share tips and tricks that are working well!

Thanks in advance for the guidance!
    I NEVER REUSE the chineseum wires that come on the neopixels. It is absolutely dreadful. 22ga feeds (+ and-) 26 ga for data. I have hot glued the connections on the strips and blade connector for my dueling grade blade made from TCSS thick-walled 1" blade stock.

I prefer PTFE wire, can't give the brand here on a company website.

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thanks for the replies....I am using PTFE as well in 24 (dual). It seems to work much better than the stock, which seem to literally break where they are stripped. I will try the abrasive suggestion from JB Kuma, it makes slot of sense since the flux seems to float on top of the pad with the solder when I tried to pre tin. The hot glue also seems to work very well in this instance.