Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cardboard Tube for Lightsaber Electronics Chassis?

I have done PVC chassis, TCSS chassis, purchased printed ones from Shapeways and eventually got a 3D printer and printed my own. Unless you buy a chassis designed for the hilt you are building, the chassis design and build is the most important and time consuming part of a build in my experience. It’s also the most rewarding because it’s finding the right solution rather than borrowing someone else’s. I agree with the others that this is the most important part to get right to secure, protect and insulate the fragile components and connections. The TCSS chassis parts are super affordable compared to the cost of damaging a board. There are options out there for cheap generic all in on chassis as well.

I did make this cardboard chassis, but it was only a temporary mock up and obviously more complex than simply a tube. If you are creative you can use the cardboard to design a solution you can make from better materials. Craft foam may also be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post

I did make this cardboard chassis, but it was only a temporary mock up and obviously more complex than simply a tube. If you are creative you can use the cardboard to design a solution you can make from better materials. Craft foam may also be helpful.
    Out of curiosity what did you end of making that real chassis out of? because that is an awesome chassis solution I wish I knew of 2 weeks ago when I started modeling and 3D printing my own lol

This was a few years back. I had it printed at shapeways, although I generally print everything at home these days unless someone specifically wants it printed elsewhere.