Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cardboard Tube for Lightsaber Electronics Chassis?

Default Cardboard Tube for Lightsaber Electronics Chassis?

I'm wondering if this can be done. Can I just take a wrapping paper tube and use that to properly secure my lightsaber electronics instead of 3d printing one, or could that possibly be a fire hazard? What if I covered the tube in electric tape? Thanks in advance!
    Laser Sword

Blog Entries

Not advisable at all. Use a proper chassis solution. The store sells everything you need. You don’t necessarily have to use a 3D printed solution.
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

I know, but they're a little pricey in-store. I'm looking for something I could make out of everyday household items. Would a plastic tube possibly work?
    Laser Sword

Blog Entries

That would be better. People have made pvc chassis in the past. Some very reputable smiths at that.

Just as long as it isn't flammable, then, it should be good?
    Laser Sword

Then what's the reason for not using a cardboard tube as a makeshift chassis?
    Laser Sword

Blog Entries

A chassis’ purpose is to hold your components securely to prevent damage, prevent shorts, ensure proper operation, facilitate good wire management, etc. A cardboard tube would provide none of this.

The saber hobby is not a cheap one and one should not expect cost saving shortcuts to produce any reliable results. In the long run you will most likely spend more money on replacement parts than you would on a proper chassis solution and more time fixing issues.

Save up and do it right. That is my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    A chassis’ purpose is to hold your components securely to prevent damage, prevent shorts, ensure proper operation, facilitate good wire management, etc. A cardboard tube would provide none of this.

The saber hobby is not a cheap one and one should not expect cost saving shortcuts to produce any reliable results. In the long run you will most likely spend more money on replacement parts than you would on a proper chassis solution and more time fixing issues.

Save up and do it right. That is my advice.
    I agree.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I see you are in the US - your local big box hardware store will sell a 4 foot length of CPVC tubing that should be the perfect diameter for between $10 and $15 - from this you can make 3 or 4 chassis using a dremel, or hacksaw in a pinch.