Thread: SK6812 no light

Default SK6812 no light

Hello all
    This is my first build so I have done a bunch of reading and have checked my work over multiple times. After I wired up the sound board it was time to test the SK6812 rgb strips. I tested each one separately and they worked great in all three fonts. I hooked them up together and got a few pixels on one strip working and now they both show no light at all. I am using a Spark3 sound board, Keep Power 15 amp high drain battery, 22 gauge wiring for everything except the speaker. I am also using 330 ohm resistor on the data line. The battery was freshly charged and is reading over 4 volts. I have read many posts in the string blade section but cannot find any answers to my dilemma. Anyone have some ideas on what to check?

I fortunately, that sound board isn’t something found in these parts. I would recommend you get a hold of the boards creator, and talk to him about any possible settings and or wiring issues.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If the strips worked fine before you put them back to back, check for shorts between the strips. When they are back to back, you can have many areas of reverse polarity, which is REALLY bad. If you have joints in your strips, insulate the backs before joining them. Insulate the base and tips as well. Personally, I'd pull them apart, and test them independently again to troubleshoot. My guess is you have a strip construction issue, not a board issue.

Tom

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Hello and thank you for your response. I did insulate the tips and joints. I was very careful to not have any contact between the strips that would result in reverse polarity. I know this to be very bad. It is very baffling that the single strips worked fine but kakked when combined. Excuse the vulgarity.

Are you using an appropriate battery? Need one with a 15A cutoff. I'd be suspicious of a short in the strips or how they are wired with the symptoms you are describing.

Yes, I am using a Keep Power protected 15 amp high drain battery. I will have to look for shorts on the back of the strips but the only places would be at the joint and ends that I can see.

I found the problem. It was bad soldering skills. The ground between the Tru Drive and the main board must have broke down when I put both strips into play. Resoldered and everything is good. Thanks for the help. Usually it is the simple stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Mech63 View Post
    I found the problem. It was bad soldering skills. The ground between the Tru Drive and the main board must have broke down when I put both strips into play. Resoldered and everything is good. Thanks for the help. Usually it is the simple stuff!
    Glad you found it.