Thread: First Chassis Part List

Default First Chassis Part List

Hey everyone,

I've been itching to make my own custom lightsaber as a DIY project for a while now and the Black Friday sale is a good opportunity to go for it.

To make sure I have enough space for everything I want, I'm going to build the chassis first and then order the hilt components. Since this is my first build, I've got a few questions and I'd appreciate a second (and third and fourth...) opinion on the part list to make sure I didn't forget anything and I've got a couple of questions I couldn't find straight answers for on the forum.

Part list:

- 1x Pre-Soldered NeoPixel PCB connector and 11 pin set (or I may solder it myself - haven't decided yet)
    - 1x 16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Blue Cog Switch (Auxiliary switch)
    - 1x 16mm Anti Vandal Momentary Blue Dot/Ring Switch (Activation switch)
    - 1x 16mm Anti Vandal Latching Green Ring Switch (Purely cosmetic - I want a green LED that I can turn on and off and this seems like the best option)
    - 1x Canadian Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery
    - 1x Crystal Focus Sound Module X
    - 1x Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack
    - 1x 4W 28mm WOWSpeaker

- 3x 20mA DynaOhm™ Variable Resistor (for the switch LEDs)

- 1x MHSv1 speaker mount Style 4 - For 28mm Speakers
    - 1x Chassis Disc style 2 with holes
    - 1x Acrylic Chassis Disc for CF and 18500/18650 pack - S20
    - 1x Acrylic Chassis Disc for Recharge Port - S8
    - 2x Stainless 4-40 all thread
    - 2x Stainless Steel 4-40 Hex nut

- 6 feet of red 26 AWG wire
    - 6 feet of black 26 AWG wire
    - 2 feet of 3/32" heat shrink tubing
    - 30 Dean micro connectors? I'd rather have too many than not enough.

Ideally, I'd like to use micro connectors for all the wires so I can easily replace anything that breaks. If there isn't any space, I'll figure something out when I assemble the hilt.

One question I haven't been able to find an answer for is the battery. The 18650 looks like the best battery and the 3.7V looks like the most common one used, but is there a reason why I would want to use the 7.4V?

Welcome to the Forums.

If you’re doing Neopixel, you’ll need the 3.7V solution. 7.4V are for “older” builds. You may want to have an idea of your hilt design going into this to make sure it will all fit.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the Forums.

If you’re doing Neopixel, you’ll need the 3.7V solution. 7.4V are for “older” builds. You may want to have an idea of your hilt design going into this to make sure it will all fit.
    Thanks for clearing up the mystery of the 7.4V.

I've got a lot of fingers crossed that a 5" double female connector and pommel style #5 or #7 will be enough to fit the chassis and that I can use MHS Extension Blank Style 1 for the three switches. If that doesn't work out the way I planned, I'll have to figure something out. The electronics are going to have to go inside the hilt one way or another.

Yeah, usually you come up with a design, then plan the chassis to see if it will all fit, then modify the design accordingly if it doesn’t.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com