Thread: WOW speaker in NB4 build.

Default WOW speaker in NB4 build.

I just finished a build using a 4W WOW speaker with a NB4. It works and is crazy loud, but after I finished I realized that the NB is supposed to have a max sound power output of 2W. So, what is the danger of having an overpowered speaker? Will it fry the board eventually? I see on TCSS preassembled nb4 modules for sale with an option for the 4W speaker, so does that mean it is okay to attach? Or should I really pull the speaker and rebuild with a lower watt option?

Welcome to the forums. You could always lower the volume (vol) to 3. This way you won’t blow the speaker down the road.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome to the forums. You could always lower the volume (vol) to 3. This way you won’t blow the speaker down the road.
    Thanks. I did change volume to 3 earlier when I replaced the soundfonts. I'm less worried about blowing the speaker than damaging the board. I'm new to DIY electronics so I'm just not sure if the "4W" speaker will draw too much current and potentially overheat the board. If my concern is simple misunderstanding then I am happy to leave it be, but if I am shortening the life of the NB4 i don't minding ripping the speaker out and replacing it.

I think you’ll be fine.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com