Thread: First NeoPixel build with a Crystal Focus v10

Question First NeoPixel build with a Crystal Focus v10

Let me start by saying I'm experienced in working with circuits in general and doing wiring layouts. I've also programed controllers for Audio/Visual equipment in the past so I'm not afraid of coding. I want to make sure I'm wiring this correctly with the version 10 Crystal Focus board as the instructions are a little hard for me to understand in places. With this layout I'm trying to deal with a few limiting factors of Neopixel builds. So I don't have to swap out batteries, I've put in two 18650 3.7V 15A rechargeable batteries connected to a switch so as one dies I can go to the other charged one. I also put in a charger port with a switch, the idea being in one position it would recharge the batteries, another it would put the saber into a 'display' mode providing power to the board and the middle position could act as a 'kill' setting to keep the batteries from going bad. The rest is straight forward otherwise with the crystal for the chamber in line with the blade so they match effects, an RGB power button and a bar graph hooked up as an accessory to read the battery charge level. Can wiser minds let me know if I way over thought this or mis-wired this totally. My main concern is in switching batteries would that damage the board in anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First, welcome to the forums.

Second, you may want to use a image hosting service such as “imgbb” (imgbb.com) to host your picture(s) and then use the bbcode (medium linked) to copy/paste into your post, so that we can enlarge your diagram enough to actually see what you’re doing.

Third, to pull off the setup you’re considering (putting its feasibility aside for a minute), you will need a pretty long hilt AND it would take quite a while to charge in between uses.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for the welcome!

Here's a link that will hopefully let you see it better:

And yes for this I'm planning a long hilt for this, and the charging time will be ok, I'm more concerned if switching between the batteries might do harm to the board. The 'Hero' Hilts feel tiny to me when I use them I currently have an Emperor's Hand from Ultra and that's one of the reasons I'm designing this one to be longer.

OK. Now that I can see this, here are my thoughts...

I do think you are overthinking things a bit. And yes, I believe the batteries will be an issue, simply because charging them could be problematic the way you have things set up.

So, to review. If you’re doing a Neopixel build, your “run time” will be about 30-40 minutes (continuous) based on the main color blade you choose to use (red, blue, green versus mixed colors) and how much you use FoC, etc. Now, with that said, you could try to source a different (read: “larger”) battery solution that will give you more runtime (I.e. a 26550 battery). Personally, if you’re not going to do a removable battery solution, this will likely be your best overall option.

As for the wiring itself, the PLI will have to be wired in parallel to the main power pads, since it is a power level indicator.
    Also you will,likely need an auxiliary switch to take advantage of all of the extra effects of a CFX.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

With all the reading I've been doing with Neopixel designs they have said to use the 18650, if I move up to the 26550 do you have a suggestion for a model to go with as I do love the K.I.S.S. method believe me.

With the PLI I have it wired that way as when I looked over the instructions for the board that's how it was showing to do a power level indicator, then through the programming of the aux output tell it to monitor the battery. This was on page 76 of the manual, Accent LEDs as a Bargraph/PLI, or am I misunderstanding that part? If I do wire it in parallel with the main power pads will I need to do anything else programming wise?

Looking back over things an aux switch is recommended, I'll all that into the drawing.

Thanks for your input so far!

Here's an updated drawing with your suggestions:
    Last edited by Cryingwolf; 10-13-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Added updated drawing.

18650’s are preferred (and recommended) because they easily fit within most hilt designs. The downside is, as I said, runtime. If you can work a removable battery solution into your design, that probably would be ideal, if you plan to use it for any length of time.

Keeppower makes a 6000 mAh, 10-15A, 26650 battery, but I don’t believe it’s prewired (it’s a removable solution).

Regarding the PLI, follow the manual. What I’ve recommended is how I’ve done them in the past with older versions of the CF (and PL cards generally)
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

You could try the ace beam 21700 protected cell. 5000 mAh and 20A cutoff. I’ve got a couple in Graflex hilts and the runtime is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by SA22C View Post
    You could try the ace beam 21700 protected cell. 5000 mAh and 20A cutoff. I’ve got a couple in Graflex hilts and the runtime is really good.
    So is this battery: https://www.batteryjunction.com/aceb...n-battery.html the one you're using and if so can you use the 18650 battery holder with it? That'd be great if that's the case, solves two birds with one stone.

Yun would NOT be able to use a 18650 battery holder with that.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines