Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What are we?

Default What are we?

Hey guys. I'm writing an essay on the popularity of Star Wars, and I need some good terms to describe the hardcore Star Wars fans. No, "warsies" doesn't count.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i dunno, SW Fans, SW Freaks, Lightsaber Geeks
    that's all i can think of right now
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

enthusiasts? (sp)

BLUE 3- Ready

Lol, Maul, this is a college-level essay. It has to be more formal unless the name is a more official thing like "Trekkies". I don't think SW fans really have one.

Good one, Vortex. So far I've got "avid fans", "extremely committed fans", and "dedicated fans". If we had an actual term like "Trekkies", it'd be great. Oh well; I'm most of the way done with that section of the essay anyhow; after this it's all "mainstream" and "political" cultural stuff, so it should be fine.
    TCSS Red Squadron - The most kickawesome fighting force in the Galaxy.

Which Blue Luxeon is movie-accurate? Find out here.

Jedi Council Member vortextwist's Avatar

Passionate?

BLUE 3- Ready

Ryma Mara

We are the incarnation of the movie jedis and siths.

Check tags for the true answer: FLASHLIGHT SABER MAFIA!!!!!

A whole generation of people with large comic book/ action figure collections? Most of whom have beards or other forms of facial hair? (ladies excluded on the facial hair bit!)

I fall comfortably in that category!

Seriously, I like the previous suggestions: Enthusiasts, Sw fans, that's what we are.
    We don't have a 'Trekkie' style term because 'Warsians' or something similar sounds like a disease you'd get swimming in some amazonian river!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Jedi Knight
    Sith Acolyte
    Jedi Knight
    DDP FETCHER,SIG BNDWGN STARTER,BOT-WTCH LEADER,PROUDFSM member,FORMER Unofficial TCSS postwhore

We are PROUD Members of the FSM!

m..my smiley! The TCSS sig Changer! Former official TCSS postwhore! TCSS Bot Watch scout & declarer! =P
    I am a kinda PROUD member of the FSM!

Default What are we?

Hi there.
    When people ask me why I dress up in Star Wars costumes and play with lightsabers, I recount something I heard a guy mention one time when asked the same general question about "Don't you have a life?"

He basically said that we're no worse than the die-hard football fans that stand out in the bleechers with their shirts off, in the snow, with their bodies painted in their team colors to show support for a group they love (I'm para-phrasing). Those folks are called devoted fans, yet we're called geeks or nerds or whatever. The stereotype assumes that most of us have never had a girlfriend and spend all day reciting Star Wars phrases or playing video games.

Anyway, what do we call ourselves? Here's my top 10 list:

1: Lucasites (I know it sounds like parasites, but still)
    2: Trilogians (for us old timers that grew up on the trilogies). Sounds like an alien species, but I like it.
    3: Mayfans (Since the movies always came out in May)
    4: Nacoraabs (Not As Clumsy Or Random As A Blaster)
    5: Liners (Some folks would stand in line for DAYS to see the first showing)
    6: Believers (those of us that try to live our lives by a code of conduct we might have learned from the films. Very Zen-Jedi kinda stuff)
    7: MDKs (Modern Day Knights)
    8: Keepers (We keep the SW universe alive by our devotion to it over the last 30 years)
    9: Giffas (Galaxy Far Far Away, which is technically GFFAs)
    10: Let's see.....I'm running out of stuff........Ummmmm...........OK, how about Star Warzians. Not quite Warsies, but close. Or maybe Force Fans

Anyway, perhaps the reason we don't have an official name is we aren't really so much "fans" as we are people that are able to find so many truths in the films that resonate within us that the Star Wars movies and the representations within them have become more of a philosophy and a system of principles than just mere anecdotes or narratives. The movies strike a chord with millions globally (maybe billions) and echo so many cultural archetypes from everything from ancient Greeks heros to modern day legends. It's no wonder the Star Wars "phenomenon" is alive and well.

So long as humanity identifies with the the stuff lengends are made of, Star Wars will always be a part of modern day society. I dare say that our Grandchildren's Grandchildren will one day tell stories of Star Wars based characters and use the moral of the stories to help instill a sense of having learned a fundamental truth about what makes us who we are.

So there's MY take on it.

Corbin (an old school Trilogian)

what are we?
    animals? lol jk

we are lightsaber virtuosos. there ya go
    Darth Sequentius...Sith Lord

Bringing light to darkness.