Thread: My first sinktube saber using hasbro bladebuilders econo board

Default My first sinktube saber using hasbro bladebuilders econo board

This was my first attempt at saber building, wanted to go cheap as I practiced my soldering skills, cram-fu etc... Pics can be found here:
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/183568473@N06/9426zZ

Looking forward to my next build using all MHSv1 parts.

Ok, that saber deserves a better board! Great build. Now strip it and put a better board in there! Awesome looking saber for sure! WTG.

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Thanks - I have been trying to add new skills such as chemical etching on the shroud and leather wrapping the hilt (cord wrapped, like they used to do with sword hilts) to my skills tool box.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Ok, that saber deserves a better board! Great build. Now strip it and put a better board in there! Awesome looking saber for sure! WTG.

TOm
    Thanks -
    This was really just a practice run to test the build process, practice my skills and see how cheaply I could do this. I wound up wrecking two of the hasbro soundboards - one because I overheated the traces trying to get the swing sensor off (glue on the bottom of the board was actually holding it in) and the second because I didn't have a chassis to hold everything and the stresses on inserting and removing the electronics actually ripped the speaker solderpoints off the board. Finally got it going with a chassis made from two pill bottles (the part where the cap screws on is perfectly sized for the 28mm bass speaker btw) and the flourescent light cover trick from Madcow. This one will probably be a belt hanger for cons and now that I am comfortable with the process I will drop the money on a real soundboard and some MHS parts to house them.

Well done!

Looks like you went all out for that one.

Hasbro boards are the best way to practice your skills. You may be able to recover your boards by scratching the insulation layer off the PCB and solder directly to the traces...

Keep practicing the soldering, you may want a 100$ soldering iron , run it pretty hot, use flux and hold it shortly on the solder point.

At least you didn't burn up a more expensive board. If you want I may be able to send you a few hasbro boards. Cheers.

Cheers and keep at the scratch builds!

I really like this one. Good job on your first build. Don't worry about breaking stuff at first. As you get better at cram-fu, you'll learn to judge what you can do and what will fit.