Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Switch Location

Default Switch Location

<font face="Arial">I noticed that in all of the pictures of the CCS hilts, the switch is located more towards the top of the hilt, rather than the bottom. Do they have to be done this way? Is there a way to make the switch at the bottom instead? Even better, does anyone know of a way to make a box shaped switch like Anakin's, Obi-Wan's, and Luke ep 6's? Preferably without the graflex clamp; just the box.</font id="Arial">

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

With the newer style switches I have you could put one at the bottom and still have room for 9v batterys in a 1.5" hilt. I dont think you could make it work in a 1.25" hilt or with any larger battery pack.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

<font face="Arial">So is there any way to have 12v fit in a 1.5'' saber? If so, how? I noticed that in the tutorials, it only shows a single 9v battery.</font id="Arial">

The 8AA or 8AAA will fit a 1.5" tube for 12v.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

So I basically have to choose between a more personalized and (for me) ergonomic hilt, and a brighter blade? If so, how much brighter is a 12v-powered blade than a 9v? Is it worth sacrificing hilt design?

with the new 4khz inverters you should be perfectly happy with a 9v.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Ah, thank you sir!

I used a small slide switch from Radio Shack, 1.25 tube, 9v, and had the switch mounted about as far down the hilt as I could. The hilt's also 8" long so things were tight in there. Both sabers are made w/ parts from Tim. The one on the right was my first blade, and the one with the switch in question.
    http://www.alderaanbase.com/photos/d...lbum=34&pos=10

to be honest with you, i mounted the switch on my saber at the very base of my hilt, concealed inside the pommel. i didn't use any of the switches that Tim sells, but rather a basic on/off switch from radioshack. ended up working great

Blog Entries

The biggest problem I have with push on/off switches is that while dueling or just twirling my lightsaber I keep accidentally turning the saber off. The switch really does get in the way no matter where you mount it along the hilt body. But I found a solution and it worked quite well in a double-bladed saber I made. Also, it prevents accidentally turning on the saber when the blade is not attached.

I found a momentary micro switch. I mounted it just below the blade holder on the INSIDE of the hilt. I set it up in such a way that the button will get pressed down ONLY when I insert a blade into the hilt. I used screws to mount the switch but the same thing can be accomplished using epoxy. Then all of the buttons on the hilt were strictly cosmetic with the functional switch hidden away.

My next experiment will be to mount a push on/off switch in the pummel. It will be recessed to prevent accidental pressing. In this location I can draw the hilt off the belt clip and activate it in one motion, and one handed. I'll have pictures when it is done (december, maybe).

ohh, here are about 75% of the hilts I made.

http://geocities.com/projectstm/lightsaber.html