Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what do you guys use for weathering

Default what do you guys use for weathering

im building my first saber and i want to give it a little bit of a darker look ive watched the saber shop youtube video but im wondering what other ways there are

Blog Entries

Welcome

There are tons of methods. Check out the A-Z build threads.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末

You can also look at videos by various prop makers on YouTube for specific ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcmahan23 View Post
    im building my first saber and i want to give it a little bit of a darker look ive watched the saber shop youtube video but im wondering what other ways there are
    Well it depends on the material you're using. In my case, my hilt uses several pieces made of solid brass and after a few days of handling them with my bare hands, my handgrip is already developing a slight patina. Over time, and/or with the application of a little vinegar, it'll start to dull over and patina, get scratched and dinged, and acquire natural weathering, which is why I went with brass in the end.

If you're painting your hilt at all, using sparing amounts of paint remover or a little screwdriver can take the paint off, or you can use a relatively weak paint and just let your handling do the work for you. This is what gave Luke's main hero hilt in RotJ its signature appearance.

Aluminium (the default material for MHS parts) will also oxidize on its own, given time, and that'll give it a duller appearance, and acquiring natural scuffs and scrapes will help with that.

Any refinishing like anodizing for aluminium and parkerizing, bluing, or a black oxide finish for steel and other materials will, over time, wear out on high-contact areas and can be exacerbated with rubbing/buffing/sanding. Buffing hardcoat anodizing results in a nice bronzing effect, if my "battle-worn" M16 receivers are any indication.

If you want to know how to get your saber to look like some of the commercially-available "weathered" sabers, then looking at online videos or talking to sabersmiths is your best bet. Most sabersmiths I've seen can do a variety of weathering effects, from a simple discoloration to heavily rusted parts.

May the Force of others be with you,
    Beskar Anooba
    There is no Light Side, nor is there a Dark Side; there is only the Force. I will keep the balance; the balance will keep me whole. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace. There is serenity, yet emotion. There is chaos, yet order. There is no life without death. There is death, yet the Force. The Force is all things and I am one with the Force.

For a rusty look, I like to use hammered bronze spray paint sprayed from a good distance away.

Properly placed abrasive scuffing followed by strategic applications in the right places of gunsmith finishing product Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black (now also available in a pen), "Cajun Agin" (thanks Gemini twins) using Tobasco or similar hot sauce and/or 'baked' olive oil can provide interesting coloured finish effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Properly placed abrasive scuffing followed by strategic applications in the right places of gunsmith finishing product Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black (now also available in a pen), "Cajun Agin" (thanks Gemini twins) using Tobasco or similar hot sauce and/or 'baked' olive oil can provide interesting coloured finish effects.
    Do you have any pics/links to pics of using Tabasco or olive oil? Like I said in my reply, a little vinegar will give my solid-brass parts a nice patina but now I'm curious about this "Cajun Agin'" idea.
    There is no Light Side, nor is there a Dark Side; there is only the Force. I will keep the balance; the balance will keep me whole. There is no good without evil, but evil must not be allowed to flourish. There is passion, yet peace. There is serenity, yet emotion. There is chaos, yet order. There is no life without death. There is death, yet the Force. The Force is all things and I am one with the Force.

You don't need to go any further than your kitchen for examples of the oil. Any pan with baked on black or brown oil is what you'll get. olive oil has a high content of things that will smoke and polymerize to give the effect more readily than "cleaner" oils.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkuma View Post
    You don't need to go any further than your kitchen for examples of the oil. Any pan with baked on black or brown oil is what you'll get. olive oil has a high content of things that will smoke and polymerize to give the effect more readily than "cleaner" oils.
    Lol I'm usually pretty meticulous about cleaning my cookware but maybe I have something. But on the other hand, a pan is a tad removed from how it looks on a lightsaber!

Blog Entries

the tutorial for this is here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ighlight=olive

the are two surviving photos in the thread.
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末 末末末末