Thread: First Saber, long story, and questions aplenty

Default First Saber, long story, and questions aplenty

6 years ago I registered and said hello to everyone for the first time from Oklahoma. I quickly began my research, so I could make a single order from the TCSS, and got overwhelmed with my lack of knowledge. I let things go.
    Flash forward a year and a half later after I have picked up a few more ForceFX sabers. I decided to purchase a NBv2 while they were in-stock. Once I have my NBv2 (prewired) in hand, I begin my research anew and once again get overwhelmed trying to figure out what to do and what to buy. I put things down again.
    Flash forward once again to about a month ago. I’m cleaning one of my rooms and find my old NBv2 (still sealed), along with all my sabers hanging out in a corner being neglected. I am in a much better place in my life, where funds aren’t as tight and time is easier to spend on things I enjoy doing.
    I make the choice to not let this hobby defeat me. I begin my research anew, once again getting frustrated, but decide just to push past it. I make an order of things I believe I need from TCSS and just accept the fact that I will be missing things or have the wrong items, and I will just need to make a 2nd or 3rd order to get this right. I need to get one saber under my belt to get over this hump, and begin my journey to converting all my MR/Hasbro sabers over to battle worthy bright swishing monsters.

I have set myself a clear 1st goal and I am stopping until it’s complete.
    I am using an ObiWan RotS hilt that I have gutted. I plan to use none of the original innards from that saber, just the hilt. I am going to use my old NBv2. I am going to make it blue with FoC white. I am going to have an external recharge port.

I have purchased all the major components but I have already found at least one thing I need, so order #2 list is already started. I am hoping just to make it one more order as paying shipping on tiny things hurts my heart.

Here are the items I currently have in hand:

NBv2
    Power Xtender™ 2.0
    Hasbro FX Obi-Wan ROTS conversion kit
    Blue/Blue/White Cree XP-E2 CopperNova
    18deg Tri-Rebel/Cree Star Lens
    Star thermal tape pad - Tri LED
    2W 28mm Bass Speaker
    7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery Pack
    Kill plug style 2
    Kill plug style 4
    Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack
    Panasonic Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB Protected Rechargeable Battery
    1" Hilt safety plug - Trans White
    Covertec Clip
    Clash Sensor SW-18020P
    Blade

I am hoping I can get some assistance with verifying some of my work and suggestions before making the second order, so I don’t need to make it a 3rd.

I already missed a base plate, and I believe I do not have the correct resistor either.
    My current wiring plan:

CurrentWiringPlan1.jpg

Questions I currently have:
    1. Does the Power Extendor v2 work with the old NanoBv2 ?
    2. I purchased both a 3.7v and a 7.4v battery because I was unsure which one I would actually need. It looks like the main factor would be size in the hilt, so I believe with all the room I’m going to have that a 7.4v will work fine in this setup. Unless someone can give me a reason NOT to use 7.4v Li-ion 2600mAh 18650 Battery pack, then this is my plan.
    3. I am unsure when figuring the resistor amount if I am supposed to add up all the LEDs or just choose the highest one. In my current calculation, I just chose the highest one, so I believe I need a 4.7ohm 5w resistor. I would appreciate if someone could verify this.
    4. Side note: I purchased a big ol variety pack of resistors from amazon and the one i think i need is not in the pack, so I will be purchasing resistors from TCSS. My resistor pack goes from 0ohm to 10ohm and jumps from there. Apparently 4.7k isnt the same as 4.7ohm :/
    5. Does this setup need a FoC sensor? The old NanoBv2 has a swing sensor on it, but I don’t know if that actually counts for FoC. If it’s needed, I have one ready to be placed in this wiring … somewhere ….
    6. Will the MHS base plates (bottom of the hilt mesh thing) work with the MR/Hasbro sabers as well?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated and I will forever be in your debt getting me over this initial nightmare of a hump.

Thanks and hello again from Oklahoma.

Welcome back.

OK, I’ll answer some of the questions, and one or two others I’d have to look up, as the NBv2 was quite a while ago.

1. It should.
    2. You can only use 3.7 battery solutions with the NB. Read the manual if you downloaded it at the time.
    3. Since you’ll be wiring in parallel, you figure it out for one of the blues, and buy 2 resistors. The White would be the same one IIRC.
    I do have a tutorial on doing those calculations floating around here.
    4. They definitely aren’t the same.
    5. No, if that version supports FoC, it’s built into the board.
    6. This one I don’t know.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Welcome back.

OK, I’ll answer some of the questions, and one or two others I’d have to look up, as the NBv2 was quite a while ago.

1. It should.
    2. You can only use 3.7 battery solutions with the NB. Read the manual if you downloaded it at the time.
    3. Since you’ll be wiring in parallel, you figure it out for one of the blues, and buy 2 resistors. The White would be the same one IIRC.
    I do have a tutorial on doing those calculations floating around here.
    4. They definitely aren’t the same.
    5. No, if that version supports FoC, it’s built into the board.
    6. This one I don’t know.
    Thank you for the reply. Every bit is helping me piece this together.

Thanks for the spot on the 3.7v battery, as I would have completely missed that.

I have redone my calculations on resistors but am still a little confused based on your statement.

Based on reading your tutorial, my new calculations, and rounding up that seems to be taking place, these are the results I am getting.

Blue LED = .3ohm .3watts ; so a .3ohm 1watt resistor https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/3...tor-P1405.aspx
    White LED = .55ohm .55watts ; so a either a .5ohm1watt resistor OR the next thing appears to be a 1ohm 2watt resistor.

I'm unsure when the rounding up should be taking place and how close it needs to be.

Also the placement of the white resistor I believe would need to be between the PowerExtender and the TriCree on the pink line where I have indicated on the below image ?

CurrentWiringPlan2.jpg

Either that or on the power extender itself as it states it allows for a 2w resistor now to be a part of it ?

I have updated the picture with the new information, as I hope it explains what I am referring too.

Thanks!

When it comes to rounding (especially the wattage) the bigger the wattage value, the physically bigger the resistor will need to be.

Since you are using White as the FoC, the .5Ohm 1W should be fine, since it’s only on for a brief time.

The resistor placement will be fine as you marked it, just remember to bridge the resistor pads on the power extender.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Wonderful. Much thanks for your help!