Thread: Sound problem with my Prizm Neopixel build

Default Sound problem with my Prizm Neopixel build

I apologize if im not in the right area to post this. Ive recently finished a Prizm 5.5 build with a neopixel blade. everything works fine until after a few minutes of having the saber on. with the blade plugged in, it will start to sound screechy, without the blade plugged in it sounds fine. Ive read a few posts on these forums and others, and it seems like my battery isnt providing sufficient output. Everything was bought from TCSS; SK6812 (118 pixels per side) 28mm premium speaker, 470Ohm inline resistor, 2 illuminated momentary switches. The battery I installed is this one but it doesnt say what its amp output is. Im considering getting this to replace. Do you think that will be a better choice? I should also mention I used 28AWG for all the wiring. Ive seen a few people say its better to use 24AWG or 26AWG, while at the same time the Plecter Labs manual called for 28AWG. Any opinions on that part of the build? thank y'all so much for your time and support.

The first battery you listed isn’t for neopixel. The second one is. Also 28gauge wiring isn’t recommended as it may not be able to handle the amperage load and may physically fail.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    The first battery you listed isn’t for neopixel. The second one is. Also 28gauge wiring isn’t recommended as it may not be able to handle the amperage load and may physically fail.
    Hello TCSS Forums,
    I figured I would just ask this here as it seems fairly related.

I have been attempting to build a neopixel setup with the Prizm 5.5 and I can get the board to boot up and produce sound I am unable to get the blade to light up. I am using this battery https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/7...Pack-P699.aspx and I'm wondering if that might be the problem.

I'm using the Plector PCBs for the hilt (7 pin) and blade (target). I've checked all of my connections with a multimeter and they all have continuity. I'm wondering if it may be the battery that is the reason it doesn't light up.

I have bridged the pads by the data pad on the Prizm board and have the negatives going to L1 and L2. The manual shows negatives running to all 3 L pads but I've seen a lot of info stating that isn't necessary. I have the 330 MSD resistor on the Target.

I've tried the 2 most common LS0 and LS1 values. The strips I have are WS2812B so maybe I just need to try some different LS0/LS1 values.

I ordered everything but the blade tip about a year ago. (Tips were not in stock then)I order the tip a week ago so figured I'd better start the soldering. I got the board wired with a recharge port "fine." As I stated, the board powers up and produces sound, I'm just getting no action on the LED Strip. There's 141 of them and I set that in the overide.txt file.

I'm no guru by any means but I typically can handle these types of projects. I'm at a loss.

Any advise or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Yes, that is your problem. Prizms weren’t meant to handle 7.4V batteries. You need the 3.7V 15Amp 18650 battery.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Thank you very much Master Forgetful.

I will get the proper battery ordered and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again Master Forgetful. I received my new battery (& holder) and now have light. Speaker's a little crackly but I'm 90% sure that will be resolved with a full charge.

One more time thank you very much. MTFBWYA

I go by FJK everywhere.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines