Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nonstandard LED placement: facing inwards

Default Nonstandard LED placement: facing inwards

Hi!
    From what I've seen so far, most lightasabers use either 1 or 3 high-powered LEDs facing down the direction of the blade. While my own saber currently only exists in the design stage, I've been thinking about placing a rim of less powerful LEDs facing inwards, with a reflector in the center/focus. Theoretically it should give me a more evenly lit blade and more flexibility for different shimmer and light up effects, as well as better heat management. Does anyone here have any type of LED in mind for this kind of project?

something like this maybe? https://www.adafruit.com/product/1222
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cern View Post
    something like this maybe? https://www.adafruit.com/product/1222
    Sorry if it wasn't clear the first time, I'm asking about the LEDs themselves, not controllers or drivers.

Blog Entries

A "reflector" in the middle of the blade? Wires going up the length of the blade? Even if your theory did yield more even light, wouldn't those oddities kinda make for a fruitless effort?

Why not just do a neopixel build?
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Quote Originally Posted by darth_chasm View Post
    A "reflector" in the middle of the blade? Wires going up the length of the blade? Even if your theory did yield more even light, wouldn't those oddities kinda make for a fruitless effort?

Why not just do a neopixel build?
    The reflector is located fully inside the hilt. Nothing goes into the blade itself.

something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.

something like this but smaller then?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WJ-6...012231215.html

Welcome to the Forums.

I think your “premise” is wrong. Amongst other things, the heatsink you’d need will block a lot of the light you think you’ll get.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I don't think you are explaining your concept clearly enough. Even a rough diagram may help illustrate what you are thinking. I think everyone here is imagining a different arrangement. I originally thought you meant to put LEDs at both ends of the blades with a reflector in the middle.

Do you mean something more like this?

Sorry for the long wait, forum stopped notifying me for some reason.
    I meant something like this (reflector shape not final):
    SaberReflector.jpg