Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Jedi Comics Lightsaber (Ulic & Cay Qel Droma)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Tales of the Jedi Comics Lightsaber (Ulic & Cay Qel Droma)

This is another mash-glomeration of all the pictures of the Ulic and Cay Qel Droma lightsabers from the TOTJ comics, mostly the first book (KotOR). It was just a pick-and-choose-free-for-all when it came to deciding which hilt features to include. Ultimately I just made the hilt that I remember from over two decades ago. Dang, man.

The blade is something different, it's a 30mm OD leftover from a makototsai blade that I got from him years ago. I still had the blade holder from the original hilt, and even though it's bored to accept a 30mm blade, the OD of the BH was 1.25", so it fit darn near perfectly with the rest of the raw stock that I use. #win

Plecterlabs Prizm 5.5, 2x neopixel strips, 2x 18650s

Short Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_an_7-XDA5c

Longer talkie:

Wow really brings back the old EU comics memories when art was indeed "inconsistent" but very interestingly different from the OT. Great job picking an assemblage of design cues and details that recaptures the spirit of those comics while still appearing practical.

Once again you show why you are the Master of these types of builds. *bows* BRAVO!

Nice work E!!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks, guys!

Absolutely killer saber and inspiration! Awesome work E57!!!!!!

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Thanks, man! I dig your stuff too!

Blog Entries

Another awesome one. NICE!
    –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– ––––––––

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

No, sir, it is YOU who is the AWESOME!

I love your take on Ulic's hilt!

I'd always seen his blade as a yellow-green (almost orange sometimes), and built mine with an amber led/blade set-up. With so many green and blue for modern-era/standard colours, I always felt Ulic's would have been a little different, especially given his aggressive and confident personality. My hilt isn't finished, and I make take a few cues from your design. And you're right; with several different artists, his lightsaber and outfit changed so many times. Even the same artist there were slight changes. And the colorists couldn't even keep his clothing matched from frame to frame. So I tried to base mine mostly off Dave's amazing issue #1 cover art.
    This Jedi Ranger has a name....Terek Kelrune. Don't forget it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Ranger View Post
    I love your take on Ulic's hilt!

I'd always seen his blade as a yellow-green (almost orange sometimes), and built mine with an amber led/blade set-up. With so many green and blue for modern-era/standard colours, I always felt Ulic's would have been a little different, especially given his aggressive and confident personality. My hilt isn't finished, and I make take a few cues from your design. And you're right; with several different artists, his lightsaber and outfit changed so many times. Even the same artist there were slight changes. And the colorists couldn't even keep his clothing matched from frame to frame. So I tried to base mine mostly off Dave's amazing issue #1 cover art.
    Thanks, man!

It's a nice halfway between yellow and green, the green is emphasized in the pictures, but irl it's more yellowy. I had always thought it was good choice to be that color because it really drove home the "ancient" aspect. They really stand out because of it... had they all been standard hues, and diversely green and blue, it certainly wouldn't have been as memorable. As for the shape... I still would have remembered the shape. Even early parksabers and byb were just variants of known elements, just in different order.

I saw your Ulic costume, I like it. I see where the that coverart was a big influence. Heck, ALL those covers were amazing, and, imo, they were a significant reason why I loved that series so much. By placing the more fantastic comic pages in a more down-to-earth looking environments, with realistically portrayed clothes and hilts, the covers served as that bridge to relate to the stories. With something as simple as, "oh, this is how this fabric is supposed to flow", you could now see yourself in those wildly fantastic settings. #geniusart