Thread: Grainy Speaker Output?

Default Grainy Speaker Output?

Good morning everyone, and May the 4th be with you!

As you can expect, I've got my older builds charged up and ready for today while I work on my next saber. While goofing about with my 2017 build, I noticed that the speaker now boasts a really "grainy" sound to it. It's not terribly noticeable during the motionless humming, but when the saber is swung, or clashed, or performing a blaster block/lockup, you can really hear how grainy the speaker sounds.

The build is a CF8 with 2W Bass speaker. I connected my rice cable recently and turned the volume down from 4 to 3 but that is about the only adjustment I've made which would involve the speaker.

Looking to see if anyone has come across this before. I assume it's either a connection that is becoming stressed or the speaker is going bad? I gave it time overnight to come to a full charge to see if that was the issue but the grainy-ness persists. I've had this saber completed since about August of 2017 and this is the first time I've heard it sound like this. I would love to avoid replacing the speaker as it's pretty snug in a chassis, but if that's what I gotta do then that's what I've gotta do.

Thanks everyone!

MTFBWY
    Darjetii, chaabar te genet jetiise, kaysh tion'ad taylir te vorpan kal. Kaysh oya'karir gar jii. Kyr'am cuyir gebbar de.

What kind of LED setup are you running? Does each die have a resistor on it?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I've got the R/G/RB Cree Coppernova and the PC/CF Color Extender V3. The Red and RB are connected to the CEX and the Green LED goes through the high-power LED pads on the CF8, no resistor. I also have 2 illuminated AV switches which each have a DynaOhm resistor.

I adjusted some of my color mixing using the RICE configurator while I was in there adjusting volume. Do you think I may have set one of the dies too high which is causing this?
    Darjetii, chaabar te genet jetiise, kaysh tion'ad taylir te vorpan kal. Kaysh oya'karir gar jii. Kyr'am cuyir gebbar de.

Which battery (specs) are you using?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Panasonic 7.4v 18650 3400mAh Lithium Ion pack, hooked up to a recharge port.

What did you set your die settings to?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I only adjusted one color profile, as I usually only run Green and I wanted my FoC to be yellow and not magenta as the default had been. Currently, that profile is running channel 1 @ 861mA while channel 2 & 3 are 0 mA.

My FoC settings, if those are helpful at all, are channel 1 @ 784mA, channel 2 @ 322mA, & channel 3 @ 0 mA

Well, that should cause any issues at all. It sounds like it might be the wiring form your speakers to the board. I’d check that or the actual speaker itself.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for looking into this with me, FJK. I'll post an update if I find anything in that regard.

MTFBWY