Thread: Confusion over MWS NBv4 and Cree Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module Assemblies

Default Confusion over MWS NBv4 and Cree Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module Assemblies

Greetings Earthlings,

I'm a slightly-experienced saber builder that's run into confusion with some new shop inventory. Several things have changed in the store since I last bought electronic components, and several hours of store, forum, youtube, and google searches have yielded no definitive answers, so I appreciate your time and input for what may be a noob question.

I'm currently upgrading my stunt saber into a sound saber, and helping a buddy build his first saber in an identical layout. We're using MWS NBv4s and want multi-LED blue blades with white FOC.

We're both using 3.7V Li-Ion packs and this version of the Nano Biscotte.

1) Is this the correct LED assembly? This is as opposed to this module, which states that it is not compatible with the "standard" NB assembly, but has no link or model number to identify what that is. I presume the "TCSS Version" of the NBv4 is the one that comes in a nice unit like this, but there doesn't seem to be a clear indicator one way or the other. Both LED units and their pages are very similar.

2) Is the unit I identified truly "plug and play", and if so, how does it connect? I see a single resistor included in the LED harness, but the NB manual says that all current regulation is handled off the board. I can't quite make out how a single resistor like that would regulate the entire LED assembly, nor can I find any information on exactly how this unit is intended to be connected to the board and what resistors or drivers I'd need to assemble and include in the harness, if any. I don't want to plug the unit in and burn out my FOC LED or board, for instance.

I'm an integrated engineering student with a good handle on basic electronics and soldering, so I don't need any assistance with much else (like resistor selection). I'm just confused by these particular units (and their relationship) and haven't been able to find any detailed information on them. Thank you very much for your help!
    Last edited by Darth Andu; 05-03-2019 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Link Format Error