Thread: Hilt space vs guts

Default Hilt space vs guts

Hi! First-time saber build here, and I am so lost (there's a reason I flunked engineering in high school.) I've got a question about hilt space.

I'm looking to build a basic saber that isn't that long, but am worried about making it too short to comfortably fit the electronics inside. As more experienced builders, what would you recommend for length-space vs. guts requirements in terms of

- a basic saber with battery pack and LED, either AAAs or Li-ions, buckpuck included

- same basic saber but with sound added

- a basic saber no-sound but with the potential to upgrade later

I don't want to cramp the contents to the point I can't get them out, or worse, melt down the saber over heat issues because I stuck flammable something against warm space. But neither do I want a lot of extra space rattling things around and potentially causing dislodging/breakage due to clash impacts. (this is a saber intended for combat.)

Welcome to the Forums. Why don’t we try this, use the MHS builder to design something you think you would like, and then post a screen capture of it, and we’ll tell you how feasible the design is based on what you’ve said above.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Sure thing! I'm ultimately aiming to do something like this below, but 12.25 inches is still longer than I would prefer. I have short arms, and can two-hand the ultrasabers Apprentice saber with room to spare (about 10").

saberdesign.JPG

12.25” is on the higher end of the normal range, but it’s fine. Also, I don’t think you’ll be able to use a box on that 2 or 3” extension you have there. Other than that you should be able to get a basic saber with sound into that easily enough.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Yeah, the box thing occured to me after I'd posted, I might have to adjust the length of that piece to accommodate if I want to include it, and scale down some other parts to keep the overall length down.

But I'm still curious in the generic sense, as to what people have found the best sizing for certain complexities of saber build.

It all varies on what (or how much) you want to stuff in here, and your skill level. For what you would ultimately want (“basic” saber with sound), it can fit in there pretty easily.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines