Thread: Beat Saber themed double saber parts check (time sensitive)

Default Beat Saber themed double saber parts check (time sensitive)

Hi! Sorry I'm in a rush to get this project done. I was caught up on my end with various things but I'd sincerely appreciate if I can finalize this build by the 17th so I can order parts ASAP (i.e. when my credit cycle resets).

My con is on May 16th and I'm desperately trying to throw together my first (and second) saber for a blue/red Beat Saber themed cosplay. I've pored over hours of videos and *thankfully* I have a fairly solid background in electronics so actually wiring things isn't my biggest concern, but rather whether I have all the parts that I need and if I need to order other parts from the store. I'd prefer to order everything from TCSS because then everything will come (hopefully) in one package, except for maybe the CNCed parts, but all the tiny bits will come in one package I guess.

Note that I'm not concerned about money at this point. I just want to make a sick saber and I need to make sure I get all the parts in time for the con (I'm willing to pay a premium for powder coating process to make sure it's delivered in time).

For BOTH sabers, my parts list includes:

Crystal Focus Sound Module v9
    MHSv1 Hilt Style 2 (POWDER COATED ONE RED AND ONE BLUE)
    MHSv1 Blade Holder Style 3
    MPS Pommel Style 6
    MPS Clip
    MPS Insert Style 6
    18650 Single Cell Holder
    Premium 28mm speaker
    MHSv1 speaker mount for 28mm speaker
    0.5ohm 3w resistor
    6 wire quick connector

For RED saber, my parts list includes:
    1" Thin Walled Enhanced Red
    Tip for previous part
    Red/Red/White Cree Star LED

For my BLUE saber, my parts lists includes:
    1" Thin Walled Enhanced Blue
    Tip for previous part
    Blue/Blue/White Cree Star LED

OTHER Parts:
    TrustFire Li-Ion 18650 batteries x several (to last the con)
    All in one charger x a couple (so I can charge multiple at once after con, which lasts 4 days)
    All available sizes of heat shrink tubing
    Synthetic Grease

Again I'm no stranger to electronics so even though this may be my first saber I'm not going to get *too* confused with that aspect of things.

On top of that, I'm thinking of getting white electrical tape to create the "strips" of white that exist along the Beat Saber sabers, which is why I wanted the tinted walls to begin with (also because if the sabers are off, they'd still look like Beat Saber sabers, but I'd like for the whitish glow effect to still be present when pictures are taken, so I'm not sure if I should go with white for the blade or not and just use a Dremel to etch in the vertical lines along the saber blade so that they diffuse light differently when on).

Please let me know if this is a complete parts list or if there's anything else I need to add. On top of that, I desire to create a custom sound font for Beat Saber specifically, where I can switch between two soundfonts. One will make regular light saber sounds when moved but when it hits a surface it makes a note cut sound effect, and another where motion makes the note cut sounds and a clash makes a wrong note sound effect.

I tried to find a good resource that strongly compared and contrasted between the sound cards but I decided on going with Crystal Focus because there's room to upgrade it if I so desire to in the future.

Again this is a time-sensitive thing so PLEASE your help is sincerely appreciated!!!

I'm seriously hoping I can get all the parts within the next three weeks so that I can work on the cosplay. Please please please let me know if there's any way I can speed any part of the process up because I didn't even know TCSS existed before someone at the maker space wanted to "save me a headache" and by then I was just starting my job.

Thank you so much!

I will also add that I have a 3D printer and access to a laser cutter so if anything needs to be laser cut or printed I can get that done on my end. I just need to know if I need to do so.

Well, I think you are being a bit ambitious for something that is going to be you first saber builds.

Here are my comments and questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Tetris View Post
    On top of that, I'm thinking of getting white electrical tape to create the "strips" of white that exist along the Beat Saber sabers, which is why I wanted the tinted walls to begin with (also because if the sabers are off, they'd still look like Beat Saber sabers, but I'd like for the whitish glow effect to still be present when pictures are taken, so I'm not sure if I should go with white for the blade or not and just use a Dremel to etch in the vertical lines along the saber blade so that they diffuse light differently when on).
    Im not sure what you’re trying to accomplish with this. Putting electrical tape on your blades will just look silly.

Have you through the out a chassis solution to hold the electronics inside your saber yet?

Also which specific battery were you looking at (specs)?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I forgot to specify the LEDs are pre-built to save me a headache. I remember watching a video that showed a battery holder. If anything I'll laser cut or 3D print something to hold it together? But I suppose I'll need thermal tape? I will link to the video I watched specifically. I know it holds the nb and not crystal focus but I could probably Dremel out some space for it or just 3D print a chassis for it. https://youtu.be/sApB7J5JdZ4

As far as the look: http://imgur.com/a/IWXXvfh
    See how the saber has whitish lines going up and down it? I'm trying to make this look like a cooler version of the Beat Saber sabers.

Oh and this is the battery. Sorry I'm a bit scatterbrained. I've got to sleep for work and am not thinking straight.

https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/T...pack-P517.aspx

I need to buy a fair number so that they last a full day at an 8 hour con.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetris View Post
    I forgot to specify the LEDs are pre-built to save me a headache. I remember watching a video that showed a battery holder. If anything I'll laser cut or 3D print something to hold it together? But I suppose I'll need thermal tape? I will link to the video I watched specifically. I know it holds the nb and not crystal focus but I could probably Dremel out some space for it or just 3D print a chassis for it. https://youtu.be/sApB7J5JdZ4

As far as the look: http://imgur.com/a/IWXXvfh
    See how the saber has whitish lines going up and down it? I'm trying to make this look like a cooler version of the Beat Saber sabers.
    Ummmmmm, ok.

Most 3D printed chassis solutions do not have space for battery holders. They’re more for prewired battery packs.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I can buy a prewired battery pack too. As long as I can quickly replace it at a con within like a few minutes.

If you do the prewired, get the 3400 mAh ones, they’ll last a bit longer. The time it takes to replace depends on your wiring skills, and the chassis solution. Ideally you’d want /design something that’ll make your life easy in that regard.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

So... NOT something I can replace at the con? What parts would I need for a chassis solution for the replaceable battery?

Oh I apologise. Now that I'm awake I see what you mean. I'm fairly adept at wiring and I know how to 3D model so I could probably buy my parts and caliper fit everything into a printed model. Thanks for your help!