Thread: First Build Assist

Default First Build Assist

Hi everyone. This is my first build and actually my first-ever thread on here (so please be nice ). After many years of deliberating, I think I've settled on a good hilt design and I figured I'd run it by the forums to see if anyone has some suggestions or help for me.

So, from the pommel-up, we have:
    >MPS Pommel Style 3 V3 with a modification
    >4" Deep fluted double female threaded connector
    >A 3.5 or 3.7" blank machined into the Kenobi-style pineapple grenade grip with some modifications
    >MHS Choke Style 2
    >Male MHSv2 to Female MHSv1 Adapter
    >MHSV2 Blade Holder Style 3 with a modification.

The pommel mod would have one of the lobes partially machined off with a machined-down Kobold D-ring riveted in its place, while the upper grip blank would have a switch box installed on one side and a flat space on the other that I'd have engraved somewhere or another with "THE FORCE IS WITH ME, I AM ONE WITH THE FORCE" in Aurebesh. Alternatively I'd be fine with a custom-machined Kenobi grip/choke combo instead of using the blank and pre-machined choke. On the blade holder, on the shorter side of the "slant" I'd want an aesthetic Graflex-style "electrical port" with the two little prongs machined into it and I'd put a screw on the back end for a blade-retainer.

The whole thing would be powder-coated over in Translucent Brass, except for the lower grip which would use the textured copper option, and the choke using a medium-blasted finish to matte it before having a copper finish done over it too. All in all, I think it'll look really good and have a nice Old Republic style to it. Thing is, I have two issues on hand about this hilt:

ONE: Activation boxes. I've no idea what to use, because while I'd really like to use the Box Kit 28 and have the circuit board look, I don't think I can use that one to activate the light & sound here. Style 21 in brass would be good and low-profile and I'd have more real-estate for my handgrip, but I'm iffy about it *looking* the way I want. Any suggestions for me there would be great!

TWO: The length. This hilt will be long and so I have some reservations. Even using the choke/grip combo, it'll be around 13.13" long, and that's... big. I don't think I can do anything to change that with the parts I've chosen, so I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks it'll be too long.

So that's my build idea! If you take the time to read this post, I thank you. If you leave any suggestions or comments, I thank you doubly.
    May the Force of others be with you.
    ~~Beskar Anooba
    Last edited by Beskar Anooba; 04-09-2019 at 09:50 AM.

I'm pretty new to this as well but, I've done extensive research and built my first saber a couple months ago.

First off. If I'm correct you're planning on getting the MHS ribbed extension v-grooved(Kenobi style grenade section) https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/M...oved-P252.aspx correct?
    If so, you'll probably want to get https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/F...ter-P1394.aspx this adapter instead to connect the choke and the blade holder. Plus it's a little shorter.

ONE: For the activation box you could get box kit 28 and probably use some tactile switches, to connect to your sound board, with the switch covers it comes with.

TWO:In the end the length is your choice! Whatever feels more comfortable to you. Measure it out on cardboard, cut it out, see if you like it and, one positive about a long hilt is it will be easier to fit electronics!
    I myself was going to make a 12.5" hilt eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Beaner View Post
    I'm pretty new to this as well but, I've done extensive research and built my first saber a couple months ago.

First off. If I'm correct you're planning on getting the MHS ribbed extension v-grooved(Kenobi style grenade section) https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/M...oved-P252.aspx correct?
    If so, you'll probably want to get https://www.thecustomsabershop.com/F...ter-P1394.aspx this adapter instead to connect the choke and the blade holder. Plus it's a little shorter.

ONE: For the activation box you could get box kit 28 and probably use some tactile switches, to connect to your sound board, with the switch covers it comes with.

TWO:In the end the length is your choice! Whatever feels more comfortable to you. Measure it out on cardboard, cut it out, see if you like it and, one positive about a long hilt is it will be easier to fit electronics!
    I myself was going to make a 12.5" hilt eventually.
    Hi Darth Beaner.

Yes, I was gonna go with the separate ribbed/grooved grip and choke, or at least a custom-machined version of it to allow for the flat engraving space on one side and the box on the other. As an alternative, and to cut down on length, I may opt for a version of the combo grip-and-choke piece instead. The adapter you linked doesn't seem to be compatible with what I want, though. I'm using a V2 blade holder with everything else V1 so I don't think it'd fit. But as far as the length goes, I'm satisfied with the 13" one after all. This hilt combines bits and pieces of Luke's, Obi-Wan's, and Kanan Jarrus' hilts, and the length is similar to Kyle Katarn's, as it turns out.

Where the switch goes, I contacted TCSS and they said that the #28 box kit could be integrated into the electronics, so I reckon you're right in using the switch covers etc. I'm sure that with some creative thinking, whoever I have do my electronics work can figure it out. I'm not electrically minded myself, but the structural design of the hilt is something I'm good with. I plan on asking a couple of smiths about it and see what they say before I proceed.

Thanks for your reply,
    May the Force of others be with you.