Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K4 Saber Kit electronics help!

Default K4 Saber Kit electronics help!

Hi, after a few years in limbo I am wanting to build the K4 Saber Kit of Obi-Wan Kenobi's saber. I have been trawling the forum for hints, but haven't found what I am looking for. I have read that it takes a 20mm speaker, but what size LED Base does it need? Also does it need a standard heatsink for the LED or does one come supplied? I would be trying to put a tri Cree XP-E2 in. Does the base need to be modified, or does it take a standard base size?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    With the Blast Shield down I can't even see.. how am I supposed to fight

So the K4 is a bit of an odd duck, as it doesn't really have a space for a LED heatsink.

When I installed mine, I just used the tri-cree adhesive thermal pad and stuck the LED to the bottom of the blade housing. This worked well enough but take caution, the blade holder is steel and doesn't provide much in the way of heat dissipation. If you plan to have this saber on for long periods of time, it will get hot. A couple of vendors sell (or sold) LED adapters for this hilt kit to correct that problem but I'm not sure if they're still available.

Check out this Shameem video for details:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45UroMDszw

Quote Originally Posted by SA22C View Post
    So the K4 is a bit of an odd duck, as it doesn't really have a space for a LED heatsink.

When I installed mine, I just used the tri-cree adhesive thermal pad and stuck the LED to the bottom of the blade housing. This worked well enough but take caution, the blade holder is steel and doesn't provide much in the way of heat dissipation. If you plan to have this saber on for long periods of time, it will get hot. A couple of vendors sell (or sold) LED adapters for this hilt kit to correct that problem but I'm not sure if they're still available.

Check out this Shameem video for details:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45UroMDszw
    Thanks for this, so it takes a regular tri Cree die base? I can always manufacture a brass heatsink to fit if necessary.
    Any other special info on this kit? Planning on using a single 18650 Li-ion and a prism 5.5.

I just realised the prism allows the use of neopixel strips, maybe I should look at doing my first neopixel saber with this kit.

Neopixel is doable, there are a couple sellers in Shapeways that sell connector holders. I've done an LS6 with Neopixel and its got similar blade depth in the socket.

Thanks SA22C. What battery are you using with the neopixels? I have managed to source some 3500mAh 10A continuous drain 18650 batteries. Should this be enough? I don't usually have my sabers on for long spells, usually only to demonstrate my "special" walking stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloda Foade View Post
    Thanks SA22C. What battery are you using with the neopixels? I have managed to source some 3500mAh 10A continuous drain 18650 batteries. Should this be enough? I don't usually have my sabers on for long spells, usually only to demonstrate my "special" walking stick.
    That’s what most people (and myself) are using. There are a couple of 15A options out there but I haven’t found those to be a requirement. In fact, my neopixel LS6 uses the 10A battery sold here with great results. Run time is 30-45 minutes on a solid colour (non mixed, like red/blue/green.) my only quibble is the chargers sold here aren’t high amperage. There are some great options out there for faster charging, so you can cut recharge down from 6-7 hours to 3-4.

I am just about to start this build, and have just realised that I don't have any grub screws for blade retention. They seem to be big holes, any idea what size they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloda Foade View Post
    I am just about to start this build, and have just realised that I don't have any grub screws for blade retention. They seem to be big holes, any idea what size they are?
    The screw size is 10-32 I would try either a 1/4inch long set screw or maybe a 1/8 inch long set screw.

Thanks, local hardware store doesn't stock them, so I'll have to order some from TCSS.

Sloda Foade,

Did you ever build your saber?

Hutch009