Thread: Troubleshooting question, this one seems very strange

Default Troubleshooting question, this one seems very strange

I'm have an issue with my Tri-Cree RRW LED. The video explains it in detail the best I can. This is not my first time and I've wired many sabers this same way. Lets see who can trouble shoot this issue. Thanks for the insight.

Well it’s not the amps so I’m getting a new RRW led and seeing if that works.

I’d need to see a close up of the star.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    I’d need to see a close up of the star.
    It actually use to look a lot cleaner, this is after soldering the same pad multiple times to resolve my issue. I rewired the led away from the saber and tested each led individually they all work independently. Two of the LED's, one red and one white will work in parallel. The second red only will light up independently once i line it up in parallel with the other two it fails to light up. The LED and red wire at the top right is the one giving me all the trouble.

Offhand, I’d say that you managed to bridge the serial jumper (small circle between the White Die and the Red one giving you trouble (upper right hand corner). If you’re testing using a bench supply, put about 5.5V across just that one circuit (“bad” Red +, White -), at 600 mA of current. If I’m right both should light up. I’d also put a paper towel or something over it so you don’t blind yourself in the process.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

FJK you are my new best friend. I took a razor blades sliced between the small circle and it all works In parallel perfectly. I was wondering once what those circles were. I must have dropped a drop of soldier on that spot when I first soldered the led and didn’t realize it. You solved my mystery. I learned something new. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    FJK you are my new best friend.
    I’ll add you to the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jediseth View Post
    I was wondering once what those circles were.
    ... and now you know!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Offhand, I’d say that you managed to bridge the serial jumper (small circle between the White Die and the Red one giving you trouble (upper right hand corner). If you’re testing using a bench supply, put about 5.5V across just that one circuit (“bad” Red +, White -), at 600 mA of current. If I’m right both should light up. I’d also put a paper towel or something over it so you don’t blind yourself in the process.
    Found this out the hard way myself. I bridge all the positives on the star, and had dropped some solder in one of those serial circles and drove myself mad. Ha!

TOm

"Mistakes are our greatest teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tilmon View Post
    Found this out the hard way myself. I bridge all the positives on the star, and had dropped some solder in one of those serial circles and drove myself mad. Ha!

TOm
    Ya after a few dozen of them it’s bound to happen I guess. I’m glad it finally did so I know. The half day of madness wasn’t fun though. Lol